Sachse electronic ignition replacement

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
ducksandhogs
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Sachse electronic ignition replacement

Post by ducksandhogs »

I'll just add my experience so far with the installation of an Elektronic-Sachse replacement ignition unit on my Darmah motor. I was having problems with "losing" spark one cylinder and difficulty starting and had already changed to green Dyna coils, had the pick-ups re-wired and re-set, and replaced all the wiring with a spliced-in 2001 900ss loom and hardware. I decided to get serious about throwing the rest of the "old stuff" out while having to strip the motor for the "big" rebuild. I would probably have gone for the Silent-Hektik set-up if I hadn't already replaced the coils and had to wait too long (for me) for a response from from a retailer. That and it looked like to alter the timing required removing metal from the leading edge of the rotor. The replacement pick-ups and mounting plate looked robust and the setting up of the air-gap around the rotor looked straight forward too. The Sachse looked even easier to set-up by being able to set the timing by rotating the rotor around the keyed sleeve. I was apprehensive though of what could happen if for some reason it loosened! And how would the circuit board survive long term in hot oil? It seemed there was enough positive feedback out "there" ... and it was cheaper too!
I'm happy to report, although very early days yet, that I'm very happy so far with the Sachse unit.
I used an old crankshaft half with the rotor mounted to set the pick-up plate air-gap and found to get an even gap over both sensors required slotting the 'sleeve' hole and removing some metal off the plate to clear the side-cover casting. The Sachse rotor sleeve has a semi-circular keyway for some reason and I had to flatten up the sides to get it to fit over the stock key. The initial timing is done off the front cylinder TDC using some LED's wired into the control unit so having a degree wheel made that fairly straight forward and only took a couple of side-cover removals to get the rotor in the right spot. There's three grub-screws to lock-tite the rotor in place so it shouldn't move. I chose the #3 advance curve for now as being closest to standard Ducati curve.
The bike started right off, and settled into an idle practically straight-away. I've only had a short trip out yet as I had to turn back with front brake problems and an oil leak but had time to pick up a $150 traffic fine! Great...
So far it's looking good and I would not discourage anyone from getting this product. The Sachse's are also good to deal with too.
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Re: Sachse electronic ignition replacement

Post by Vince »

$150 on a short test,mate how are you going to control your right wrist.You sure get a good idle with a new modern ignision,found this on other Italion bikes.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”