My battery is dying again - WTF is happening

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
manitoufs
Mariana

My battery is dying again - WTF is happening

Post by manitoufs »

I am baffled. As we all know, roundcase charging systems suck. But this defies my sense of logic.

Three weeks ago I warrantee swapped an almost year old Interstate battery on my Sport. I road it that weekend. Put on about 200 mountain road miles and parked it. All during the ride, my Radio Shack battery monitor registered good readings. I hooked it up to the Battery Tender, got a solid green light and covered the bike.

I drove to Scottsdale last weekend to see my parents. when I got back Sunday eve, the old green light was still solid. Last night, I got home from work and damn it, I had the alternating red/green show. (All due apoplgies to our friends in the Great White North.)

Pulled out the multimeter, checked the battery and sure enough, 11.7vdc. My conclusion is: the Battery Tender is not doing it's job.

Does anyone have any ideas?
George
65 250 Scrambler (2), 64 Monza, 72 250 Scrambler, 73 750 Sport (2)
74 GT (2), 87 F1, 90 750 Sport, 04 Multistrada, 06 Sport Classic

Post by Guest »

What coils are you running?
manitoufs
Mariana

Post by manitoufs »

Yo guest -
Bosch 6v blues. I don't what ohm.
BTW - running a RITA since '77.

Why don't ya sign up as a member.
DucDave
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

My Battery is dying

Post by DucDave »

George;

Last week I hooked my Battery Tender up to my bench battery (In known good shape) to give it its monthly tune up. All looked normal and I went in for my evening tea. Next morning I went out to check, and the battery, which showed 11.5V at "re-charge" time, was now dead as a doornail.
The BT had calved and drained the life out of 'er.
I recharged the battery with my "Big Mutha" charger, and before I wrote off the BT I disassembled it, to see if I could find a toasted component. It looked good, so I hooked it up to another battery and pow! It worked again. Another mystery electrical gremlin. I get lots of these, being electron challenged.

Maybe your BT is similarly infected with electrical gremlins? Mine seems to have recovered and is back in operation.

Dave
Most birds fly, but Ducks fly best!
manitoufs
Mariana

Post by manitoufs »

Hey Dave -
I have had exactly the same experience. I am beginning to think that the old BT cannot be trusted. A nice concept but the sucker may be headed for the trash.
George
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

electrical woes

Post by BevHevSteve »

George, how are your leads.... have you pulled out all the connectors, cleaned and reasembled? Pulled your ground cleaned and reassembled? Your right, the BT could be bad, I don;t know how to check it. Perhaps you could call the manuf to ask them how to verify it be doing what it be supposed to do...

Sales Pitch :wink: That said, normal lead batteries are ancient history now, AGM dry cell technology can;t be beat. SVR and WestCo are what I recommend. Not cheap but they really do a great job and you will never have to buy another battery. The ACCUMATE charger is 6V & 12V with the flip of a switch. Consider this one unstead of a battery tender.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
manitoufs
Mariana

Post by manitoufs »

Checked into the sealed battery previously. Unfortunately, none fit the Sport. (12N12A-6N) If you can locate one, I will gradly purchase one.
George
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Battery Specs

Post by BevHevSteve »

Hi George, the following 2 batteries work for all non electric start twins from what I have seen... Anyways, noone has complained about them after ordering. Are either the right size deminsionally for your 73 Sport? Both are 14 amp hr batteries which is better than your spec but compare the size to see if either will fit, which they both should.....

12V14-B $68.00
Voltage 12
Amp Hour 14
CCA* 200
Length 6"
Width 3-7/16"
Height 5-3/4"
Weight 11.1lbs

:arrow: Or better yet... the top of the line is:
SVR 14 $93.00
Voltage 12
Amp Hour 14
CCA* 250
Length 5.81"
Width 3.32"
Height 5.88"
Weight 11.5lbs

I have the SVR20 on my NCR Replica - which is what is needed for electric start bevel bikes. no problems in 2+ years. Shipping is $9 on batteries + ca sales tax for you.
manitoufs
Mariana

Post by manitoufs »

Steve -
The dims look real close. Just a shade larger than my current. I am local to Westco. Why don't you set me up with one. I can pick it up. You can invoice me thru Paypal. You know the deal.
George
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

order up

Post by BevHevSteve »

George, I am on it. Just sent an email to WestCo asking for an address and to set your battery behind the front desk for you. Will shoot you an email offline when everything is ready to rock N roll. will invoice you with paypal as well. mille grazie
manitoufs
Mariana

Post by manitoufs »

I do love this forum.
George
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

WestCo Battery

Post by BevHevSteve »

George, did you clean up all your terminals? Did you pick up your battery yet? Are your problems solved or are you still having problems?
manitoufs
Mariana

Post by manitoufs »

Yo Steve -
My terminals have always been real clean. I put the Interstate on a conventional charger and brought it back to life. It is now hooked up to the BT and appears to be holding.

I picked up the Westco but have not fitted it yet.

I have been trying to adapt a pair of 17" CBR rims to my 90 sport. Michelin has not made any tires made for it recently and does not plan on manufacturing any until the end of April. (2 months ago they said the end of March.)

The rim project is not going well. The offsets and disk carrier diameter for the rear are way off. I think the rim I got off ebay (advertised as a CBR600 F2) is not correct. It is supposed to have a 17mm axle diameter but has a 20mm.

I may have to park the 90 until Michelin gets off their as and makes some tires.
George
seddy
Mariana

battery tender

Post by seddy »

Are you using the tender with the battery connected in the bike?, I have had trouble befor when leaving the battery hooked to the bike, it was a 82 900 ss, I dont know why, but if the battery was connect the tender would drain it, if the batter was disconnected it would charge it. I have no trouble with the 77 900 ss or the Harley. :?
manitoufs
Mariana

Post by manitoufs »

Yes - the battery was hooked up the bike while connected to the BT. I have stopped using the BT on the 73 Sport. I now do a periodic overnight trickle charge. No problems since.

BTW - I am still using the Interstate. Might as well use up the warrantee.
George

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”