75 860 Ignition System

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
sportster_restorer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

75 860 Ignition System

Post by sportster_restorer »

Ok, I'm over here working in the Middle East, and on downtime I'm trying to learn as much as I can to maybe bring the 75 860 that's been in suspended animation in my shed for over 15 years out into the light. I bought this thing from a guy in the Northeast years ago as a bit of an unfinished project. Everything seems to be there as I remember the last time I looked at it when I was home in March. But I remember the guy I bought it from telling me it needed rewiring. Right after I got it I was pretty intimidated by the electronics and never really even tried starting the bike. I'm a lot older, wiser (sorta), experienced, and more gray-headed now.

You can see from my name I've done Harleys most of my life, built several, and made my own wiring harness every time and never had any problems. Had several Japanese bikes too.

So what I want to confirm is that if my 860 has the orange Ducati Mechanica spark boxes, this thing can essentially generate its own energy like a magneto. In fact, in my HD brain, I was thinking the orange spark box system almost looks like a magneto (in a way) but it uses electronic triggers instead of points. The thing I'm getting to is that if everything with the ignition is ok (I know, that's a huge if) the bike should be capable of starting without a battery in it. To shut if off, you just ground the system (kinda like the magneto on my 60 Sportster).

If my assumptions are correct, then I'll probably try cleaning the carbs, and start kicking the thing. One good thing a few guys have told me is that if it last had gas in it over 15 years ago, then it probably didn't have any ethanol in the gas to complicate things. I've been inside a lot of Mikunis and Keihins and a Hitachi or two, never a Del'orto, so wish me luck.

I remember moving things around in the shed a little back in March, and I just decided to give the bike a few kicks. It did rotate with apparent compression, so at least its unlikely to be locked up.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: 75 860 Ignition System

Post by wdietz186 »

It is true that working Ducati ignitions are self generating and should work as you describe.The reality is that few of them work anymore. If yours does work be kind to it and gap the plugs no greater than about .020". The wiring harness can be simplified greatly[there is one in the manuals section and a few threads on the subject] and heavier gauge wire really improves light output. The Dellorto carbs are simple, no mysterys in them.Steve has most everything you will need and there is a wealth of info on this site.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”