Re-wiring the 860GT

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
swooshdave
Diana

Re-wiring the 860GT

Post by swooshdave »

I know everyone says to just look in the manual but both the factory and the Haynes has a fuzzy print of the wiring diagram. But I found another diagram and although more of a schematic it at least is readable, especially in regards to wire colors.

I don't know where to get "Italian" wire and really I'm not that concerned so I ordered up a bunch of colored wire from my favorite British wire place, British Wiring.

This is where I got the wire for my Norton. Only a couple colors from the Duc aren't available so minor color swaps were required.

The big difference is that with the Ducati I'll be starting with an existing harness, which will help. With the Norton I started from nothing.

I am going to use the same fuse panel as the Norton too. 6 fuses and a nice ground block. With a solid mounted motor in the Duc the ground block is probably less necessary but it still can't hurt.

As the PO hacked up the wiring harness to remove the turn signals I need to go back in and fix that. I also want to update the horn and headlight with real relays. I'll also look into making a new engine stop relay.

I'll also use Weatherpack connectors where I can.

While a little bulky, they are solid and... weatherproof.

More when I get the wire...
swooshdave
Diana

Re: Re-wiring the 860GT

Post by swooshdave »

Stash of wire. Yes, it only took a couple days to get here. They had it cut and shipped the same day (within hours). The black tape is not tape but wire wrap, the good stuff that adheres to itself but doesn't have adhesive.

I have some intake manifold gaskets on the way (going to try Norton ones as suggested by someone here). Since they are $3/ea I can afford to experiment.

If that helps the running problems (and I think it will) I'll then think of tearing into the wiring.
confusa
Diana

Post by confusa »

I'll be extremely interested in your rewire effort. The previous owner of my bike really did some unknown mods on mine and I struggle to get it back to a known state. Would also be keen on seeing other relay options if you find them.
swooshdave
Diana

Post by swooshdave »

The first goal is to get the bike running properly. Then tackle the wiring. I'll completely remove the stock harness and use it at a guide for the new one.
Mayor08
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Mayor08 »

SwooshDave, how has the rewiring gone do you have an update to share and maybe some pics and tips?
swooshdave
Diana

Post by swooshdave »

Mayor08 wrote:SwooshDave, how has the rewiring gone do you have an update to share and maybe some pics and tips?
Working on the electronic ignition first.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4036&start=15

Not sure if we'll get to a complete rewire yet.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”