Newbie help- Darmah component location

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
navyguy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Newbie help- Darmah component location

Post by navyguy »

I am new to the group and new to Ducati ownership- recently bought a 78 Darmah.

The previous owner removed the starter, solenoid, 32 carbs and airboxes off early in the bike's life and bagged them up. They came with the purchase and I want to put the starter back on. I am having a hard time locating where the solenoid and the ground strap are supposed to be mounted though. There is a pair of mounting holes on the left side of the frame back by the battery that are spaced too far apart for the solenoid, and I cannot find any other mounting locations that make sense. Any one have a good photo or description that could help me out?

I have checked the parts manual, owner's manual and maintenance manual for a drawing or description to no avail...

Thanks for any help-
Best-
Matt
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Newbie help- Darmah component location

Post by BevHevSteve »

Matt - those 2 holes on the left side of the frame, the side frame PLATE, are where the stock solenoid is bolted on sideways. I would guess that you have a non original solenoid then if it doesn't fit there. Just drill a hole in the bracket to the solenoid you have so the holes line up and fit it on there..... That's what I would do. I just had a look at one of my totally stock darmah's here at the shop to verify the above and what we talked about yesterday.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
navyguy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by navyguy »

Thanks Steve.
How about the ground strap?
I will try and shoot some photos tonight and figure out how to get them posted...
Best-
Matt
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

There are 2 large posts with 2 large diameter wires going to the solenoid. You have the battery {+} to one solenoid post, other solenoid post to Starter. There is a small yellow wire that will clip onto a post between them from the harness.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

navyguy wrote: Any one have a good photo ...
Hi Matt,

Like wot Steve said, and here's a photo that may help to clear up any remaining confusion:

If it was me, I wouldn't refit the old solenoid. Better to go get a new one. They are prone to serious internal corrosion. I guess Joe Lucas never intended that they should be mounted 6 inches above the road on a motorbike :) . Fortunately, replacements are readily available, and for little money, 'cos they were standard fitment on a range of popular British vehicles of the period, including Minis and Landrovers. Here's one, for example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Se ... 230557586b

HTH

Craig
navyguy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by navyguy »

Figured it out- the back of the ID plate- I was looking on the frame tube.
Thanks for the help Steve!

Best-
Matt

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”