ducati electronica ignition system

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
gearguy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

ducati electronica ignition system

Post by gearguy »

hi, gearguy here. I'm building a 900gts cafe racer and need some help with the electrical system. First off i am electricly ignorant and have no clue how the ducati electonica ignition works. what i am looking for is a very simplafied wiring schematic that will make the engine run and stop and charge the battery. i will not be using an ignition switch, just the handlebar on/off switch. this bike is a parts bin special from the factory. it was titled as a 1978 900gts, however it is kick start only. ( i know all gts's were electric start.) acording to Ian Falloon a handfull of gts's were assembled using left over gt motors and sold for bargain prices. this bike was manufactured in october 1977. it has a starter button and starter relay in the electrical harness! This is my 2nd sqare case duck, my 1rst being a 1980 darma ssd. i love this bike and am in process of turning into cafe racer that wieghs less than 380 lbs. i own a machine shop and have access to titanium so i think its doable. also i will be selling a lot of 900 gts parts if anybody is interested.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: ducati electronica ignition system

Post by wdietz186 »

The Ducati ign. is self generating. The green wire at the transducer is grounded when the switch is turned off. If you have an ign. that actually produces sparks you are in a tiny,tiny minority. Most of the ign. stators went bad 30 yrs. ago. If yours does work be sure the plugs are gapped at about .020" to keep the voltage demand low but prepare yourself and expect it to fail. There are wiring diagrams in the Manuals section of this site. There are ign. systems available but they will require a battery/charging system.
l_aysan
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: ducati electronica ignition system

Post by l_aysan »

If you cant find one by the weekend PM me and I can scan and send you a copy next monday.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”