feeling really dense

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rgierer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

feeling really dense

Post by rgierer »

I feel like I am in need of a remedial version of this forum. I have the Dyna S and a degree wheel, and all the instructions a boy could want.

I can't get the plug out of the case to acess the crankshaft!

The plug has been severely worn prior to my reciept of the bike. I feel like I had my first best chance to remove it last night when I had a large allen wrench inserted and when I gave it a good tug instead of coming loose it stripped out a bit more. Now I am feeling pretty stumped but am trying to come up with workable ideas.

I suspect I will end up taking the side of the engine off and having it proffessionally removed and then I will need to find a new plug.

So, any ideas, guidance etc is welcome.

I have great compression, clean carbs, new coils, a new fuse block, rebuilt brakes, all the lights work, the tires are new, the bike is starting to look good, now if I can get this ignition in I am hoping to be able to ride it around the block.

Robin 750GT
new owner of 1974 750GT
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Old flat screwdriver (about 6-8 mm will do) and a hammer.
When it doesn't work, take bigger hammer BUT DON'T HIT THE COVER :-)
Be sure to turn (or better HIT) it in the correct way.

joseph
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Even with the right size allen wrench the hex in them is sloppy. You could try strip of thin aluminum across the face of the wrench and hammer it into the plug.A piece of beer or soda can would do.OR if you have some valve grinding compound you could coat the end of the wrench and put it in the plug. You need to support the wrench so you don't put any side load on it while you are turning it. The beat tool would be an allen socket and a short extension so you can support it.Harbor Freight sells a set of metric allen sockets pretty cheap and they aren't too bad. If all that fails a fairly large dull[ish] chisel and a heavy hammer on the outer 1/3 of the face of the plug at about a 30 deg. angle in the counterclockwise direction will usually get them loose but you run the risk of maring the primary[Very $$$$$$] cover plus you will have to replace the plug but you were going to do that anyway right?
rgierer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by rgierer »

it came out. I dont know if it was due to the chickens I sacraficed or the old woman I stopped for on the way home, but the skys parted and it came out with a 1/2 adapter.

Now where is a replacement available? I would prefer not to put this one back in.
new owner of 1974 750GT
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

Vee Two, Perth, Western Australia. Bought one on a visit 9 years ago, so far haven't had to fit it, but know it will come in handy one day.......!

Hugh
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

http://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=782

We stock these brass plugs that have a magnet inside - and sell loads of them because they work.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”