Dyna S installation. '74 750GT

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rgierer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Dyna S installation. '74 750GT

Post by rgierer »

I'm preparing to install a dyna S and am concerned about how I keep the bike in time while I install the Dyna. Any guidance?
new owner of 1974 750GT
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The instructions that came with the Dyna outline the procedure. IIRC you have to lift the distributor assy and move the points cam drivegear back 1 tooth. You should have a degree wheel attached to the crank so you know where top dead center is located and go from there.
rgierer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by rgierer »

In the manual it shows a long bolt you can use to build a makeshift timing indicator. Any help on the size and threads of such a bolt?
new owner of 1974 750GT
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Go to www.bevelheaven.com/productinfo.html and you will find other installation notes along with a wire diagram to help installation.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
thessler3
Mariana

Re: Dyna S installation. '74 750GT

Post by thessler3 »

I am responding to an old post, but it might be helpful to someone. On my '73 750 GT, the distributor rotor had to be turned about 90 degrees, not one tooth. With the front cylinder on TDC, put the dyna plate in, roughly centered on the adjustment screw slots. Install the rotor/collar on the points cam per the instructions. The magnet on the rotor needs to be pointing toward the higher section of the Dyna pickup closest to the condensers. Likewise, the rotor magnet will point at the other pickup when the rear cylinder is at TDC. Note that the distributor turns at half engine speed and there are no waste sparks at BDC or anywhere else. Both spark plugs will spark when you turn the key off, assuming the coil primaries were charged. This might surprise you, but hurts nothing. Note that I emailed Steve a set of new installation notes with pictures enclosed. If anyone wants a copy, email me at [email protected]. The Dyna works good on my bike, which has old Amal carbs on it and high compression pistons. It was a hard starting bike a month ago when I started the restoration. Much better now and idles smoother too.
thessler3
Mariana

Re: Dyna S installation. '74 750GT

Post by thessler3 »

You can screw an 8MM 125 thread bolt into the timing shaft and attach your wheel that way. Make sure the length is sufficient to clear the case, but not so long to foul the brake lever. My homemade one is about 3" long and has threads the whole length. put the bolt thru the timing disc and screw a nut in all the way to hold the disk in place. Screw the bolt onto the shaft until it bottoms out. It will stay tight. Loosen the nut holding the disc and point it at 0 when you find TDC, tighten the nut back up.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”