New owner old bike.

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rgierer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

New owner old bike.

Post by rgierer »

I am not sure this is the right forum but here goes.

I have had the 1974 750GT for 10 days. I changed oil, rebuilt carbs, cleaned up gas tank and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. The bike had not been run since 1988 but today it runs. Today it even runs on both cylinders with compression of about 150 lbs each.

So I am feeling like I am moving forward and that the "pig in a poke" may turn out good.

Now about the clocks. Niether the tach or the speedo work. I can only confirm the tach doesnt work as I have no brakes yet, but the previous owner reports the speedo doesnt work. I looked at the cables and they appear to be OK. I will clean them and lube them, but is there something I should be doing to the clocks themselves?

Robin
new owner of 1974 750GT
rgierer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by rgierer »

BTW they are the gauges that begin with a V.
new owner of 1974 750GT
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

clocks

Post by Lumpy »

Gauges are most probably Veglia, in my humble opinion the better of the 2 used. Not that up on round cases but on square cases the speedo is driven by a tang off the front whee.l On square cases that tang can break off or bend out. It is easy to see if you look down at the cable end. It`s worth disconnecting the cable at the wheel and twiddle the cable. The speedo needle should bounce and that will tell you if the the problem is the drive or cable/speedo.
On square cases the tacho is driven from the front pot cam shaft. Once again disconnect the cable and give it a twiddle and watch for needle bounce. If the needle bounces take the bevel cover off and check the tang assembly which is fairly self explanitory when you open it up and have a look.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”