bosch pick-up

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
dcdrive
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

bosch pick-up

Post by dcdrive »

Good Evening all,
Could use some input on my 1981 Darmah, was getting the last bugs worked out of it when the progress went the wrong way.Now lots of back firing through carbs ,,90% vertical , quite extreme. Had the pick-ups reworked at Road and Race .New wires and pick-up repaired ,have good readings at the connector 236/240 ohm's but at the metal contact the bottom pick-up reads .09 and the top there is no reading. Now does this top trigger serve the vertical cylinder.Have switched boxes/ checked coils and all have good readings. Have at first tryed solving the problem with carb adj. but problem kept growing worst/swaped carbs no change. Have posted before and the help i got was very helpful. Thanks in advance.. Dave...
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

G'day Dave,

You don't mention refitting the Pickups back into the cover, was it done with a factory tool ??

Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
dcdrive
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by dcdrive »

Hey Rick,
Yes all done at Road & Race. Worked for a while had just small issus with a little back firing under a load, like pulling down obout 3000 rpm's. Was working with the carbs to adjust out and problem just getting further away.Also can't seem to reach Road and Race Phone # not good no responce from couple of e=mails either?? Any one know??I was so close to on the road fun now i at a loss what to do. No reading at magnets maby? specs says .09.. is top pick-up for vertical cylinder? Thanks for taking time to help Dave
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Dave,

Stuck here at work on this cold, wet winters Melbourne day so I cant check a pickup for you to compare, but 240 ohms sounds about right for that end. Did the bike backfire right from when you refitted the clutch cover, after pickups were done, or did it run ok for a short time ?

Also, were just the wires on the pickups renewed or was one of the actual pickups repaired ? ( Not quite sure from your description) cause it's sounding like a problem with that vertical pickup. We have tried to repair pickups in the past with no success, and eventually gave up and replaced the unit.

I will check a spare pickup I have tomorrow and let you know what the reading is. Either way, don't despair the problem "will" be sorted with some patience.
Cheers Rick.
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

Phil from Road and Race was asking about accommodation in New York a couple of days back on the Pantah list,he is going to some big vintage event at Barber? as well
dcdrive
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

pick-ups

Post by dcdrive »

Rick,
Ya i sent the whole side cover to road & Race and they repaired set / rewired replaced /pick-ups back in cover. After i installed the bike the only problem was to get the bike to run the best i had to have the idle screws out 3 turns or so to run with out to much back firing. Actually i drove bike for about 250 miles, was just getting losy milage and the motor would not run right at even throttle, would seem to search , fluctuate.I did take to a bike guy i found on this site and he tried to get it right. He worked on it for 3 weeks, change carb jets,slides, idle jets, needles , then carbs... still he could not get the motor to run right.Got the bike back and this is where it's at as he was at a loss.Carbs ...K4 slides 70/2 ,60 idle 256 atomizer . I know not origional , plus i got rid of the air boxes .. Thanks all finally got thru to r&r vince thanks Dave

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”