kickback

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
notrondayt
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

kickback

Post by notrondayt »

hi my beval is a kick only
more often than not it kicks back (savagely) but once started goes well
any sugestions
Ron
ps how do you check timing[/img]

motor is a square case
coils are orange
bosch ign
Last edited by notrondayt on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hi new to the world of italian bikes
have always ridden british
so far so good
Ray O'Donohue
Parallel Twin

Post by Ray O'Donohue »

As you suspect,the first thing to look at is the ignition timing. You did not specify what you have for ignition,but in any case,there are any number of ways to rough check that timing.However,once you get it into the ballpark so that it stops kicking back at you,the only really accurate way to time ignition is with a timing light.With a timing light,you are observing actual ignition as it occures,rather than predicting what it will be,as in all static timing methods.For round case bevels,there is a "pointer" tool which screws in to the end of the crank,for use with a timing light.Lots of guys/shops have them.
Ray O'Donohue
Parallel Twin

Post by Ray O'Donohue »

Another possibilty is that you timing is correct,but the mechanical advance unit-if you have one-is stuck open. If so,you may fix it with a drop of CRC!
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

We would really need to know what bevel model you have to tell you how to do the timing. The round cases have a pointer that keys into the end of the crank.The square cases do too but it is a longer tool to clear the case.
The adjustment method varies too,the Ducati elec. ign. uses a pin thru the stator and flywheel at TDC,the Bosch syst uses a tool you set up with the cover removed.With the 750s you may still have points to adjust but you still need a degree wheel or pointer to set the ign. timing.
notanumber
Mariana

Post by notanumber »

For what it's worth: experience with my '77 900 SS includes the biggest kick-back I've had on any bike, resulting in a bruised ankle joint and instep. Lesson #1 is don't try starting it whilst wearing trainers ...
It think the timing on mine is fine. However, I've found is that kicking against compression on the REAR cylinder with too much enthusiasm can, at the bottom of the lever travel, reach the start of compression (and the firing point) for the FRONT cylinder - doesn't travel enough to go through compression and start it, but guaranteed to result in a healthy kick-back!
So I now start it with just a strong 'jab' on the kick-start (pref. the front cylinder) to avoid follow-through to the second cylinder.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”