Spark plugs just keep dying 1983 s2

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
strop
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Spark plugs just keep dying 1983 s2

Post by strop »

Hi to all from Oz.... this is an on going prob that has been getting the better of me now for a while.plugs just keep dying on me ?? the bike runs fine then next time i go to ride the bike(could be a month or a week or just a few days) it will only run on one cylinder can be either one front or back i put a new plug in and bike runs fine this is starting to get expensive .have replaced bosch spark boxes, coils have tested ok have tried different makes of plugs with no change can anyone HELP.Hope to here from anyone who has had same prob and found a cure.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Describe the condition of the failed plugs. The usual problem is oil or fuel fouling and maybe a softer grade would help . Weak ignition ,bad plug caps or leads can also give plugs a hard time.Dont need resistor plugs and resistor leads , I always check the ohms reading of leads and plugs , some new plugs give an infinity reading --Bin them as they only work for a short while. When i did service work i found one in eight new plugs to be suspect when tested!!.Richness will also be a problem, enricher seals failing?Mixture check?.Valve guide seals?
strop
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by strop »

Hi thanks for your reply the plugs look good when removed they may work for a week or so then just stop working as soon as plug is replaced with a new one bike starts and runs well.will check items you have mentioned many thanks again for your time.
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

G'day mate,
What fuel do you use?
I am in Oz also and quite a few people I know with older bevels here have been having trouble with spark plugs. I go through spark plugs on my 82 SS like crazy. New plug or plugs and away we go. I have used all brands and switched heat ranges to no avail. I am working through the electrics now to try to get more grunt to the systems by putting better wiring and connections in.
On my bike, it is almost like the intensity of the spark doesn't ignite the newer type fuels as well as the older fuels.
If I wring the old girl out out on the highway, no problems mostly as the plugs last for a while but low rev riding around town kills the plugs quickly which leads me to the above conclusion of unburnt/incompletely ignited mixtures with the plugs getting fouled.
Let you know how I get on as I am redoing the old girl at the moment.
RAD
strop
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by strop »

Hi thanks for your reply ....have tried unleaded and 98 fuel results are the same dead plug.i think your right about the un burnt fuel as my plugs are wet when problem happens and the spark looks weak.i have replaced the bocsh spark boxes and coils and have tried just about every plug on the market.Have just about given up and am ready to take it to the shop much as i hate too will post what happens on this site.if you manage to find a cure please share....... all the best strop
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

No worries Strop. Will do.
RAD
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Keep in mind that if the available voltage to the coils is much less than 11volts or so you will have fouling problems at lower speeds.A good battery,and an efficent charging system[kind of an oxymoron on Ducatis] are essential.Dirty connections and poor grounds are common culprits and resist the temptation to use plug gaps over about .025" to keep the voltage required to jump the gap low.
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

Dead right about the low voltages which is why I am going through all the wiring and connections plus charging/ignition system to try to get all the available grunt to where it needs to get to.
I am going through all my Dukes at the moment to hopefully improve them in these areas.
The later model belts seem to suffer from a poor wiring system as well especially in the starting circuit.
RAD
jockduck
Mariana

Post by jockduck »

Hi, are you guys using projected nose plugs BP6HS???
My 860Gt was driving me nuts a couple of years ago fouling plugs and I changed to projected nose type and it was cured, gone 10000ks now and I have'nt looked at them. I believe its this crap modern "fuel"
Jock
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Totally endorse jockduck's suggestion - I have also had good service from NGK BP6HS and BP7HS plugs. The projected nose plugs are also available in the NGK iridiums too - I am currently using BPR6HIX and am very pleased with them.
Regards,
Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

Hi blokes,
Been trying different heat ranges and also been running projected tips (BP6&7HS) but although they hold out a bit longer, still having problems and on one bike in particular. Not sure if our fuel is different to yours but some fuel comes in from SE asia and the rest from Brisbane I believe so quality is questionable.
In the car, I can get 650kms on a full tank one trip out west and the next I am lucky to get 550kms so go figure.
I have used the Irridium plugs and ultimately they give out as well.
Unfortunately, 2 bloody cyclones have put the brakes on any work on the bikes over the last couple of weeks with more coming apparently.
Regards,
RAD

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”