Plug gap with Dyna ignition - 750GT

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
gabby
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Plug gap with Dyna ignition - 750GT

Post by gabby »

Hello all. I have fitted my 74GT with a Dyna DS4-1 ignition and Dyna 5 Ohm coils. Before I fire it up I am fitting new NGK BP6HS plugs and was wondering if there is any experience out there with the best plug gap with this setup. Can anybody give me a good starting point please or any advice?
These plugs have given me good service with the standard ignition so I'm going to stick with them, but thought the gap may need to be greater than with stock. Cheers, G
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hey G,
Standard is .032. With the Dyna use .035 -.040.
With the BP6HS I'd start at .035.
Hope this helps.
Dean
Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP
gabby
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by gabby »

Thanks Dean. I suppose the best gap is the biggest one that doesn't cause a misfire, so will start there and see what happens. Thanks, Greg
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

gabby wrote:Thanks Dean. I suppose the best gap is the biggest one that doesn't cause a misfire, so will start there and see what happens. Thanks, Greg
Hey G,
NGK recommends not adjusting the gap more than .008 because it might cause misalignment of the electrodes.
Adjusting from .032 to .040 is pushing that limit.
I wouldn't go bigger than .038. With the hotter plug (BP6HS) and the better elctronic system I'd stay at .035 or .036.
Just a thought.
Dean
Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”