Voltage regulator

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Davidwood
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Voltage regulator

Post by Davidwood »

I am rewiring my 860 gts and it seems from the wiring diagram that there are two wires to the battery from the regulator, one switched and one not. If I have this right then what does the switched wire do?
David
Ducati 860
Norton Commando
BSA Starfire
BSA bantams
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hi David,
Your question is a little confusing. There are no wires running directly to the battery from the regulator.
The regulator has 4 terminals with 5 wires. Brown, red(2 wires), and 2 yellow. The 2 yellow and 1 red go the the alternator. The other red goes to the ignition switch. The brown goes to the fuse panel then on to brake light switches and the horn.
On models with electric starter the battery has 2 positive leads and one earth lead. One positive lead from the battery goes to the fuse block and the other goes to the starter solenoid.
The starter solenoid has an earth, the wire from the battery and a wire from the starter switch on the right handlebar.
If this doesn't help please clarify and we could be of more assistance.
Dean
PS. We are like minded. I grew up with BSAs and have a 1968 Norton Fastback in the stable.
Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP
Davidwood
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Voltage regulator

Post by Davidwood »

Baddean
Thankyou for your reply.
I think my bike is slightly different to yours as the alternator only has twoo wires. The wiring diagram shows four wires for my model with one being connected to the ignition switch. My bike however had almost no wiring left and different handlebar switches (yamaha I think) so I decided to start again from scratch and am happy with the result as all functions now work although the wiring bears no resemblance to the diagram. The only remaing item to do is the voltage regulator and while replacing the wiring as shown in the diagram will be straightforward the question I was really trying to ask was what purpose does the lead from the ig switch serve? Perhaps I should just put it in without worrying what it does!
Good to hear your stable and interests are so similar to mine.
Regards
David
Ducati 860
Norton Commando
BSA Starfire
BSA bantams
Davidwood
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Voltage regulator

Post by Davidwood »

Baddean
One further thought!
I have never ever ridden a Ducati, how will I find my 860 compared to my 750 commando
Thanks in anticipation
David
Ducati 860
Norton Commando
BSA Starfire
BSA bantams
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Re: Voltage regulator

Post by abmartin »

Davidwood wrote:Baddean
One further thought!
I have never ever ridden a Ducati, how will I find my 860 compared to my 750 commando
Thanks in anticipation
David
I'll take a shot at this one. Many years ago a friend and I set out on a day trip - he had a Commando and I was on my 860GT. By the end of the afternoon he ended up in the ditch and had to withstand the embarassment of returning home on the pillion seat of my Ducati. A few days later he bought my bike and sold his Norton along with a massive collection of spare parts.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Davidwood
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Voltage regulator

Post by Davidwood »

Bruce
Thanks for that, come the British spring I should be ready to test out my acquisition and your assertion. I hope I agree with you.
Regards
David
Ducati 860
Norton Commando
BSA Starfire
BSA bantams
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Davidwood wrote:Baddean
One further thought!
Thanks in anticipation
David
I'll weigh in on this as well.
I think you will find that the 860GT is smoother and the five speed trans makes it more user friendly. It might be a bit heavier but runs about the same. They both handle well.
A couple of pics from a recent ride with a friend of mine. His is a 1975 850 Commando that he has had since new. He also has a '74 750GT that he is in the process of restoring hoping to have it done in the spring.

Here is a pic of my Fastback near Banff Provincial Park in Alberta Canada.

Dean
Hunter S Thompson RIP
Davidwood
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Voltage regulator

Post by Davidwood »

Dean
Thanks for your comments, love your pictures but is your fastback side panel standard? What about your mates rear disc, it looks different to anything Ive seen in the UK
David
Ducati 860
Norton Commando
BSA Starfire
BSA bantams
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Davidwood wrote:Dean
Thanks for your comments, love your pictures but is your fastback side panel standard? What about your mates rear disc, it looks different to anything Ive seen in the UK
David
Hi David,
Glad you like the pics.
Yes, the side panel is correct. That is actually the original paint. I rode with a group of guys in the late '60s and this bike was purchased new by one of them in 1968. I rode a '67 BSA Thunderbolt at the time.( I also drove a '66 Triumph TR4A. I sure wish I still had that one) I purchased the Norton about 14 years ago from a second owner.
The rear disc on the Commando is correct for the '75 MKIII model in the US.
I believe this Commando was an Interstate model when new but my friend likes the look of the "peashooter" mufflers over the lower mufflers of the Interstate. He has two sets of body work. One in silver with the Interstate tank as you see it and an absolutely gorgeous set in candy apple red with the Roadster tank. He is a terrific mechanic (artist!?) and does beautiful restoration work.
I can't wait to see his finished '74 750GT. The paint work is already done and is stunning..
Dean
Hunter S Thompson RIP

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”