750 Sport Wiring Questions ??

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

Gum- come for a beer at the Pests shed, we will talk,I will bring my wiring diagrams-problem solved.
so much time--so little to say
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Sorry Gum,

Never seen an electronic tacho wiring set up. Can't help you there.

Kev
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Beers

Post by Gum »

If the beers on this Friday I will come over. Hope your wiring diagrams are better than mine. I should have it running by the weekend. Just have the headlight wiring, gauges, fit the fuel taps, front brake and she should go.

Gum
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Gum,

When you sort out the wiring for the Electronic tacho can you please post it on the Forum, I'm interested to know as well ??

Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Will do

Post by Gum »

I just about have it all done. What I have found on my bike is that the 3 dash lights are not all the same. The holes are a different size. The center is a festoon globe, this is the red light. The others White and green are the same, they have a normal globe in them and a smaller outside diameter. So the high beam is the the red one, I was told other by another member. He did say that his has been rewired. Thanks Gum
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Gum,

The centre light should be one of these:

This light is the "ignition on" light and it should be white. Note from the picture these two have different profiles on the bezel. My Sport has one like the lower of the two.

The festoon globe fits in the tangs and then one of these fits over the back:

The other two lights are green - lights/park lights on and red - high beam. They look like this:

or a slightly different bezel profile, like this:

I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong profile for a Sport. Hope that helps.

Kev
Kev
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Tar

Post by Gum »

Kev, I cant see any pics ????

Gum
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Gum - see other info in the topic "Wanted Bevel Idiot Lights" in the "Bevel Drive Twins" section, consistent with the pics that Kev has provided.

http://www.bevelheaven.com/~BB/phpBB2/v ... 3829#13829

Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
750S
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by 750S »

Interesting how things aren't always how they are supposed to be. I'm slowly rebuilding my sport. I'm the 2nd owner (bought in early 1977). The harness had been subject to various modifications before and during my custodianship and ended up a bit of a mess with all sorts of strange bits attached to it. I ended up getting a new 860 harness from giovanni and adjusted it to return to Sport spec for some semblance of originality. I kept the 15 pin main connector and ran a couple of extra earth to the headlight and from the fuse box to frame. Also put 2 relays in the headlight for both low and high beam to avoid the risk of burning the switch block out. I bought some Aprillia blinkers ( weren't fitted originally) and toyed with the idea of returning to split throttle cables so I could use the blinker switch block on the throttle unit. I just couldn't bring myself to drill a hole in the clip-on to run the cabling through, so fitted an Aprillia type unit onto the the mastercylinder clamp instead. Idiot lights were changed to leds (including festoon) - I still have the original 150W (maybe) alternator. Swapped points for dyna although I have to say I always found the points to be reliable and used to love micro adjusting them to get the ignition timing right - it really was one of those nefarious arts. Everything works. I think I have managed to address the shortcomings of the harness/electrical system, but the real test will be on the road.

The bike is still a way off finishing, probably only another grand or two to spend. The motor was rebuilt some decades ago with a big end upgrade after I last raced it at Bathurst. It was good for 211kph (133mph) at that time, but has not fired a shot in anger since the rebuild. I am just checking the engine over at present - bores and head look good, but will I pull the cases apart. I recall it did have an oil leak from what I think was the kickstarter shaft seal. It has had a belly full of CRB50 all that time and all the gears and bits are covered in that sticky goo!!!

A slight diversion from the original thread but I'll post a photo when all is done. Just had a look at those 3 sports posted by Kev. They really are a beautiful motorcycle
Ben
'74 Sport '76 R90S
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Gum,

For removal of doubt, it looks like this with all lights on:

Kev
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

btw...the larger white light is an optical illusion. All the lights are the same size.

Kev
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Pics

Post by Gum »

Thanks to all, I can see the pics now. I think I will have them all done today. I have decided to use the original ones, I had no idea that they were different. I just had no colour in the white and green. I have fixed that by using some plastic sheet. Will get some pics up today.

Gum
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Different

Post by Gum »

My bike has the dedicated festoon as per normal. This has the original wiring and its the high beam light. Of the three that I have two dont have colours, the one with colour is Red. this is not the festoon. So from what I can see from my bike is that the headlight high beam must be green or clear. The read must be lights on or ign.

Clear as mud ???

Someone did write about a connector block, my bike has no such animal, the only block is the fuse block.

Gum
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Done

Post by Gum »

All done, works perfectly. Just have to wait for some fuel taps, then I can start it and check the charging rate. Only a few mods from original. I have added an inline fuse on the battery and an extra earth for the lights.

Thanks Gum
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

My bike has the dedicated festoon as per normal. This has the original wiring and its the high beam light.
Then Giovanni was on the chianti that day. It's the "ignition on" light and it's white on every other Sport I've seen - and I can take some pics of about 11 of them the same around here. Not that it makes any difference to riding the bike, anyway!

Kev

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”