Rita ? good or bad?

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Rita ? good or bad?

Post by bobnorton »

My GTS has the rita fitted, it starts ok and as yet I've not ridden it , what do i need to keep an eye on (weaknesses) and do i need any special kit to work on it.I guess whipping off the rita to check the bevel shimming is not an option ?
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

Rita works great; I have it on my 900SS. Keep the battery well charged as the Rita needs a batery in good condition and preferably >12.5V!
chas b
Mariana

Post by chas b »

Excellent unit and very reliable. Easy to set up with no special Bosch tool needed. I'll never go back.

Regards,

Chas.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Thanks Guys that reassuring!I'm going to check out what coil settup i have , some seem to be more reliable than others, whats the advance like? hopefully better than the ducati system.
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

Advance curve is stepped but not like the electronica system! (ie. more progressive)

The coil I use is a Dyna green 3ohm dual output (DC1-1); but I had one fail and now I use the 3ohm green but with a 1.5ohm ballast resistor and it's fine (recommendation of the guy that services them at Mistral engineering). I think you can get a brown with 1.5ohm as well DC2-1, but I had a spare green, obviously. This 1.5ohm ballast set up keeps the coil heat down. The dual output coil works well, hides nicely too. The rita fires both outputs every TDC on the firing stroke for each pot; means you can never hook up the pots wrongly and testing is easy!
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Bob, The Rita is driven by a 5mm hex shaft off of a special nut that fixes the cam gear. Just remove the three screws that hold the assembly and pull it away.If you set it on TDC before you take it off you will see the rotor is about 5.5mm before the pickup blade so reinstall it as you took it off and you'll be fine.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”