Irridium Spark Plugs - 900GTS

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
sdprice50
Mariana

Irridium Spark Plugs - 900GTS

Post by sdprice50 »

About to replace spark plugs in my 900GTS and wondered if there was any advantage or disadvantage in going for irridium ones.

Wondered if anybody had experimented with Irridium spark plugs or had any thoughts?
DUCATIS

160 Monza Junior
500 Sport Desmo
900GTS
600SL Pantah
750 Indiana
907ie
900SS
750 Lucky Explorer Elefant
ST4s

Others - 1927 Scott, 1950 Monet Goyon
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

I put a set of NGK BR6HIX in my '74 750 GT and immediately noticed that it idled more regularly and reliably. I suspect that they are firing stronger at the same voltage than a non-iridium plug, but haven't tried to properly investigate that. The recommended plug was BR7HIX (a direct replacement for the NGK B7HS) but I was advised by Mike at Gowanlochs to try a slightly hotter plug to better resist any build up due to the lead replacement additive that I use. So I've changed a couple of variables by going to a hotter iridium plug - I should have used one of the same heat range to be reasonably certain that the improvement was due to the change to an iridium plug. It's hard to say objectively whether they are any better during normal operation but I'm happy with them.

Cheers, Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
DaleMclean
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by DaleMclean »

'78 Darmah and same results as Steve :lol:

I "think" I may now get a little more power too, but that's subgective :oops:

Oh and same heat range as before.
I survived :-)
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

I ran a set of irridiums in my Darmah a few years ago as a trial. ran like a dream, but the plugs didn't even last a 1000 kms. went back to NGK and have had no problems since. Considering the extra cost, I wouldn't waste my money, but I guess you have nothing to lose but a few dollars in giving them a go.

Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

G'day Rick - curious to hear more about the short life of your iridium plugs. What happened to them? Mine are still going strong after 5,000 km.
Cheers
Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

plugs

Post by Lumpy »

I put a set in my 82 SS and it turned into an evil back kicking beast. Kck starting became a frightening experience. Another intersting symptom was that it would often pop when you turned on the ignition. Took them out and put the old style back and she`s a happy little vegimite again and starts first kick. Maybe my timing is a little advanced although the strobe says its spot on. As far s performance went I cant say I noticed any difference. The guy who sold them to me seemed to thnk the main advantge with them was their longevity rather than performance gain.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”