fitment 5 ohm dyna coils 82 SS

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
shane_tbird
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

fitment 5 ohm dyna coils 82 SS

Post by shane_tbird »

after some help after removing the stock coils and resistor pack
i'm a bit confused with the instructions

1/ i have 2 orange wires that came from the resistors do they go on the postive side of the new coils ?

2/ also removed 2 other wires from the coils park 1 black 1 orange and black ?

3/ how the hell do these BMW angle brackets fit the old coil bracket

thanks Shane
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

SS coils

Post by Lumpy »

I`m away from my SS at the moment but from memory I`m pretty sure the orange wire goes to the +ive terminal and the orange/black goes to the bosch boxes/pick-ups. I`m 99% sure thats how they go but it was a ways back I changed mine and I can`t get to the old girl right now to check.
The bracket I had to manufacture from scratch. Initally i made adaptors to fit the standard bracket but that all looked a little Mickey mouse as does, in my opinion, the whole ally bracket. I made one out of stainless that neatened up the whole area.
A word of warning and I hope it has`nt come too late. Make sure you mark and hook up the orange/black wires to the correct respective Bosch boxes. If you don`t she`ll kick back with knee shattering ferocity.
When i changed my coils I also changed the pick-up wires(a task i`d strongly advise doing if it has`nt been done) and somehow despite my most pedantic efforts to keep them marked I ended up hooking them around the wrong way. I won`t forget that first kick in a long time. And I won`t forget nervously smoking 5 cigarettes staring at her after I changed the wires over to where they should be before I worked up the guts to give her a second kick and hoping that that was in actual fact the issue.
shane_tbird
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

dyna coils

Post by shane_tbird »

Lumpy how did you go checking

what ive got is after taking the standard coils off

2 orange wires that came off the resistors

1 black wire that goes back to the bosch box

1 black wire that connected to a black and orange wire i would assume
that goes to the other bosch box

not looking forward to the knee getting driven though my ear
thanks Shane
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

coils

Post by Lumpy »

Hi Shane. I should have been a little more specific. I`m currently overseas and won`t be back with the old girl till early 2010. However, all is not lost. I just had a look at a wiring diagram on this very site and confirmed my suspicions, well sort of. I was almost right. I`d post the link but it does`nt seem to come up on my PC. I looked at the US model Darmah SS 900 which runs a bosch ignition also and the orange wire goes through the ballast resistor up to the Bosch ignition boxes but is spliced at the Joiner with a +ive feed. The Drama 900 diagram shows it picking up 12V from the starter circuit/relay but of course real men like us don`t have starters so our 12V comes from the ignition switch from memory. Turn on your key and check you have a +ive feed there.
The black wire is the -ive feed to the coil and according to the diagram goes to the bosch box for the vertical cylinder. The orange and black to the bosch box for the horizontal cylinder. Confussed??? I sure am.
Best way would be to go to wiring diagrams on this site, print out the diagram for the USA model SSD Darmah and the legend for it, get an orange felt pen and mark the diagram. The a black felt tip and do the same. The diagram even shows you the conections on the Bosch boxes.
If still in doubt when it`s all connected lure an aquaintance around with an offer of free beer and bet him he could`nt kick start a Ducati.
All jokes aside if you follow the diagram you should have no problem at all.
shane_tbird
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Dyna coils SS

Post by shane_tbird »

Thanks lumpy

i will get the diagram i noted in mine there was no orange and and black listed orange yes black yes

gunner have to look a bit closer

guess if i can plug in the + postives and the other black there not other connections left

Thanks for feed back Shane

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”