1981 900 SS Charging Problem

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
jsey
Mariana

1981 900 SS Charging Problem

Post by jsey »

Hi all,
A year ago I took my battery out to charge it and inadvertanly hooked it back up backwards and immediatley noticed that wires were heating up rather quickly and was able to quickly disconnect it. No more that 30 seconds would be my guess. After that I noticed that the generator light stayed on so I assumed that I had fried my regulator so I purchased an Electrex unit from the UK. No luck. I pulled the alternator cover today to chech and see if the wires leading to it were fried much like the pick up side can be and found them to be ok. I was going to pull the alternator but it seems to be a tight fit. What is the best way to remove it? What is the best replacement requlator to purchase? I've read that there have been issues with the Electex not working. Does anyone know if the 81 900 SS had a 150 or 200 watt unit and do they typicaly go bad? Thanks
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

short circuit??

Post by Lumpy »

Sounds like maybe you have a dead short. Have you checked the ends of the alternator wires to make sure there is no short to the engine case?? Just switch the multi-meter to ohms, one lead on the case one lead to an alternator wire alternatly. Would be worth checking the alternator wire insulation condition too. The insulation is known to break down with oil and heat. More often on the ignition side but I would imagine the alternator could suffer the same fate. Another palce to have a sniff is the ignition switch and the wiring where it goes under the tank. This can have the insulation worn through due to flexing while cornering
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Yours should have a 200 watt alternator. On my '79 SS the generator light always stays on when the bike is running.

Have you checked voltage at the battery with the bike running, if so what numbers are you seeing?

I have never had problems with alternators but have had bad luck with standard regulators.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
jsey
Mariana

Post by jsey »

Thanks everybody. I'll have to chech out all suggestions. Interesting about the alternator light always being on. Possibly I've gone on a wild goose chase as I just assumed that the dash idicator light should go off as revs increased.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”