Which Dyna Coil ?

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rwhc80
750 GT

Which Dyna Coil ?

Post by rwhc80 »

G'day All,

Can anyone give me some info on what Dyna coil to fit, or at least the difference between the normal black and the race green unit ? I am currently putting together a Darmah engine to mostly have some fun on the track. The engine will have few mods to boost performance a little but certainly won't be thrashed too often with high revs. Steve's site describes the black unit as "road" use and the green as "race" but ok for some road use. Reading the blurb seems to suggest the Green, but has anyone got any suggestions prior to me handing over the hard earned ?

Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Rick
I bought a Bike last year that had the Green coils on it, after some time of riding around with them one day a prolonged periods of stop start stop start traffic, the rear coil over heated and gave up the ghost. Later I found out that Green was for the track where airflow would keep it cool and the coils never really get hot, I now have black with the std resisters inline and I have not had any further problems
If I was to put another set of coils on one of my other bike it would be Black for sure
Hope that helped you a little in making up your mind as what to get

Cheers
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Thanks Martin,

From your description it sounds like the green ones don't like to heat up. I guess due to higher current ?
If the black coils will stand up to some regular track work I might be safer to run with a set of those.

Thanks again
Rick.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Rick another reason I went back to the black coil was this , Our Summers get stinking hot and this surely would add extra stresses on the green coil, performance wise I was unable to tell if there was any difference
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

the 5 ohm DYNA coils will work well on the street as well as extended racetrack work.........

The green 3 ohm coils like lots of airflow to keep cool and are bad for street riding unless they are out in the breeze
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Steve - thats pretty much what said Dude
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Thanks guys,

You've answered the question, exactly what I needed to know !

Black it is !!!!!!

Cheers
Rick

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”