Another pick up issue...

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

If anyone has ever hit a rev limiter on a later model bike ,this is the best dscription. It feels as though its hit a rev limiter but has the occasional power surge/moment of full power in wich it pulls hard. On my last ride with the bike I went to a long fast straight road and put her up in 3rd and did some full power roll ons to try to get a better idea of its behavior. One thing that happened was the bike began to backfire upon deceleration after the full redline runs. Im talking real back fires all the way back down to idle.....
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The Darmah I Worked on a few mo. ago acted pretty much the same.It was the Bosch ign. box.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Mike

I had a Bosch box go on me last year , try this one remover both boxes turn them upside down and take a real hard look where the resin meets the alloy body, look for any kind of cracks right on the join between them , take a smell of it, although the split could be very tiny and you may not be able to see it you will definitely smell that bitter electronics smell, as soon as I replaced the box all was well

I have some Boxes for sale at fleebay at the moment , if indeed yours is burned there s another option for you
radecal
Parallel Twin

Another pick0up issue

Post by radecal »

Blokes, I'm a bit late on this post.
Martin, you made a comment about not being sure if there are any tests that can be done on pick-ups et al. If you check the Darmah manual, there are resistance figures for most of the electrical bits. I usually start here and verify that all are in spec then start playing. Usually can shortcut a lot of swapping bits in and out.
RAD
RAD
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Re: Another pick0up issue

Post by nottonight68 »

radecal wrote:Blokes, I'm a bit late on this post.
Martin, you made a comment about not being sure if there are any tests that can be done on pick-ups et al. If you check the Darmah manual, there are resistance figures for most of the electrical bits. I usually start here and verify that all are in spec then start playing. Usually can shortcut a lot of swapping bits in and out.
RAD
yes.yes.rad wins the chocolates-after 19 posts-some one comes up with what us electricians do---read the diagrams,use the instruments and find the fault-a 15 dollar meter and free manual will solve ALL problems-its not rocket science
so much time--so little to say
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Just to let you all know, I still havnt resolved this issue. I took a break from the bike for a few weeks as I was getting a bit frustrated. Ihave a bag in front of me from Steve with some shiny new wheel bearings and clutch springs in it. This week im going to get back at it again. I will certaintly find the resistance figures and go from there........... Mike
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

OK,ran some more tests today. Swapped the boxes with no difference.Then grabbed my nieghbors fluke meter and test a few things. Forgive me if I sound like an amatuer , but electricity is a bit of a mystery to me. All values are in Ohms and nothing seemed to match the manuals numbers. First we tested the pickups ...vert=250 horz=253 Then the resistors...horz=2.0 vert=1.9 then the coils wich have two tests to run per the manual. First is the black lead and the plug cap wire wich we tried over and over with no readings at all ! Then we tried the black lead and the orange lead wich gave us ....vert=5.5...horz5.3...we ran the same test a few moments after turning the key on then off again and we got a different reading of vert 10.9...horz 11. Again, forgive me for my poor description. I need to sort out this problem. I am at my wits end with this bike!
seacoast69
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by seacoast69 »

.FYI: we tested all lead with the wire disconnected. So there is no confusion that when we turned the ignition on and off. This was something we did in-between tests and retest. not during the tests.

Also Why would the horzontal cylider plug be rich (black) with oil ? Where would oil come from ?

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”