generator light goes out on early MHR

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
mick998
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

generator light goes out on early MHR

Post by mick998 »

HI. JUST FIRED UP MY 79 MHR AND RAN IT FOR 12 MILES THEN THE RED LIGHT WENT OUT. BIKE KEPT GOING ,WHEN I GOT HOME I SWITCHED THE IGNITION ON, RED LIGHT OK BUT WHEN I USE LIGHTS OR HORN OR BRAKES IT GOES OUT AND NONE OF THESE WORK ANY HELP WOULD SE APPRECIATED

MICK 998 UK
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: generator light goes out on early MHR

Post by Craig in France »

mick998 wrote:HI. JUST FIRED UP MY 79 MHR AND RAN IT FOR 12 MILES THEN THE RED LIGHT WENT OUT. BIKE KEPT GOING ,WHEN I GOT HOME I SWITCHED THE IGNITION ON, RED LIGHT OK BUT WHEN I USE LIGHTS OR HORN OR BRAKES IT GOES OUT AND NONE OF THESE WORK ANY HELP WOULD SE APPRECIATED

MICK 998 UK
Hi Mick,

Unless/until someone immediately comes up with the answer ... :-D, a bit more info, please:

1. Have you got any feed into the brake light switches or the horn or the light?

2. Have you got around 14.5 volts across the battery with the engine running at around 3,000 rpm?

Cheers

Craig
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

I find on my SSD the charge light is on at idle and only after a 15min run does the light no longer come on , when you have your headlights on however this is a different story at idle the light stays on all the time ,

My Mille on the other hand the warning light only comes on when the battery is not getting a charge or battery voltage is below 11v
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Martin Mille / SSD wrote:I find on my SSD the charge light is on at idle and only after a 15min run does the light no longer come on , when you have your headlights on however this is a different story at idle the light stays on all the time ,

My Mille on the other hand the warning light only comes on when the battery is not getting a charge or battery voltage is below 11v
Yeh, I'm not sure what system the 79 Hailwood uses. While the owner's manual on Steve' site says it the same as the Darmah, I can't see the fated voltmeter device in the wiring diagram ...

My initial suspicion is that, with no brake lights, headlamp or horn, Mike's bike has lost an earth; but best to first confirm if he's got power to all or any of these devices ...

Ciao

Craig
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

lights

Post by Lumpy »

I think Craig is bang on the money. My 82 SS has the charge light come on when first started then after about 10 k`s down the road it goes out. In my workshop mannual someone has hand written in the electrical system section that the light goes out when the battery is fully charged and that appears to make sense. Seems like a funny way to do it but makes sense in a Ducati kinda way. From memory there is an earth strap that goes from the reg to the frame. I would be inclined to remove that and give it a scrub with a bit of emmery paper and also clean the contact surface on the frame.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

since we are on the topic, I like to run an additional ground wire from the neg battery terminal to the engine where the clutch cable adjuster is, between the locknut and engine..........

besides cleaning the terminals, it is also good to use dielectric grease to keep things from further corroding
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”