750 Sport Headlight rivets ????

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

750 Sport Headlight rivets ????

Post by Gum »

Gday, I have just had my head light re chromed, they had to remove the rivets that hold the brackets that attach it to the fork ears. Can these be obtained, or is there a nice bolt that can be used. I dont want to put an ugly rivet back it in. Im hoping that someone has been down this road before and can help. Thanks Gum
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

You should be able to get some blind rivets that will look close to what you had , try Blackwoods in NSW I think the rivets are called domed blind rivets or something like that
GT Pete
Diana

Post by GT Pete »

I found this post from Steve in an old thread:
On the shells that I have restored, either painted or rechromed, I have drilled out the rivots to remove the bracket thing, done what needed to be done [chrome or paint] then reattach the bracket thing[s] with something that looked like a rivit head but had threads like a wierd nut. The top of the head is very low profile smoothe and round, under the head there are little ridges that bite into your material to keep it from spinning. I forget what they are actually called, but I want to call them rivit nuts from memory?????

You can get these at a harley davidson shop as they used them to attach fenders to the brackets on their older bikes. They work great and look the part and best of all are removable. Don;t forget to use lock tite...

Post by conti-mental »

Are these the beasties???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-D ... otohosting

Cheers,

Andy
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

I went to the HD dealer the other day and they said nope we don't carry them , those ones look like the head size it was to large , you would have to lathe them down to be of any use for what you want
Let me know when you find some
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Gum, I just drilled out these rivets on an original unit. FYI they were XXXaluminumXXX COPPER , not aluminum. You could turn some out of aluminum rod stock if so inclined. Jordan
Last edited by cafe*racer on Thu May 28, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Jordon
The issue is not finding aluminum rivets as you can get them from most Aviation workshops the problem is how do you get the rivets nice and tight without the proper tools !
The last thing you would want is for that "Jod" unit to fall out. Now that would make you cry
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Martin, I have some experience with setting rivets, both hot and cold. It is a two person operation for sure and you do need proper tools and correct size rivets. That being said it is not difficult at all to get the rivets tight. Have more often than not seen the threads in the pivots wear out or get buggered before the rivets fail.
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Sorry I had a brain lapse, went to the cave and double checked & ammended my previous post. The rivets were COPPER, not aluminum. Not that it makes much difference, both materials are soft enough to set easily.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”