Ignition Pick Ups

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Elliot
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Ignition Pick Ups

Post by Elliot »

Gents,

Will the bosch ignition pick ups from a Pantah fit a Darmah? I appreciate the bracket they are mounted on looks differrent. I was just wondering about the pick ups themselves.

I am not familliar with the Pantah. If they are the same are they exposed to oil like the Darmah pick ups or are they dry?

The part number looks to be the same from a photo but I cannot be sure.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
Owner of two 78 Dramahs as I can't afford a 900SS or a Greenframe!
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Elliot,As far as I know the pickups are the same.They do run wet in the Pantahs and do suffer the same insulation failures as the Darmah.The resistance spec. is the same too.I think even the later Kokusan pickups as in the later 750 and 900 will work too.
Elliot
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Elliot »

I just ask as I saw a photo of some from a Pantah and they did not look like they had been deep fried in oil!
rwhc80
750 GT

Pickups.

Post by rwhc80 »

Elliot,

I concur with the above posting, the Pantah pickups are the same as the Darmah, albeit mounted differently in the Pantah. if you can get hold of a set they will go straight into your Darmah. Don't forget they will need to be set up with the correct tool for clearance. and yes the Pantah's also run in oil.

Cheers
Rick
BevelDave
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by BevelDave »

Hi Rick, that's good to know, thanks!
Dave
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

new electrical section in the pipeline
so much time--so little to say
Elliot
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Elliot »

Thanks Gents

I purchased the pick ups from the pantah and now I have to perform some magic on them with the heat shrink.

Incidentally I have repaired some pick ups before by soldering the new wires on to the pick up as indictaed in this site. I then wanted to seal them from the elements and I spoke to a motor rewinder. He suggested to use epoxy (like araldite) to seal them.

My concern with this product was that it softens at approx 60 degrees C however I found a product called JB Weld which is a two part adhesive. It is good for 2000F and does not conduct electricty.

I have used this product due to the high temp, the oil resistance, and the non conducting nature of the product.

Hope this helps somebody.

Elliot

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”