1972 350 Road Headlight

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
GT Pete
Diana

1972 350 Road Headlight

Post by GT Pete »

I am trying to fit a new headlight rim to my bike. The old rim which was pretty beat up had a 12v sealed beam unit. Some one had cut notches in the rim to make the sealed beam fit. Tail light is 6v. The new rim I got had an Aprillia headlight unit in it, but no bulb. There is a small bit of wiring hanging off the back and some springs that look like they hold a bulb in place. Nothing seems to match the harness on the bike. The bike has a three prong connector that plugged right in to the sealed beam. It looks original. There are no splices in the wiring. I have a parts manual for the 250 Road and it indicates a sealed beam. What kind of headlight do I need and where can I get one?
GT Pete
Diana

Post by GT Pete »

Here is what I have found out. The original light is marked 035153A. It has a sealed beam light. The opening is 134 mm. My "new" light is 035168. It has a reflector but no bulb. The opening in the rim is 130 mm. So, is there a sealed beam that will fit in the 130 mm opening? Or is there a light that will fit in the reflector and will match up to my 3 prong connector?
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

I presume the reflector will take a standard headlamp bulb. Check to see if your bike puts out 6 or 12 volts, either type is available from a number of suppliers. You should be able to splice the bulb wiring into the three prong connector. I had to do this when converting the sealed beam headlights in my car to QH units.

By switching from a sealed beam to a bulb you will have the choice of a more powerful headlight.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
GT Pete
Diana

Post by GT Pete »

Can someone post a picture of the bulb holder. There are two springs across the opening that hold in place.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”