Battery Eliminator on '77 860 GT

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
vmebarry
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Battery Eliminator on '77 860 GT

Post by vmebarry »

I like the looks of my GT without the side covers and with no battery in it. Is it possible to use a capacitor to store 12 volts, so that it will start without the battery? Old Sportsters did this, when they had a magneto. Will the igniters fire when there is no power from the battery? Will they charge with a couple of kicks, when they are grounded, IE kill switch?

My electric start does not work as someone crashed the bike and ruined the original wiring circuit, so it is a kick only anyway. It would be nice to get rid of the battery and the starter, as it would loose the 15 pounds that really should come off me.

Best regards,
Barry VME
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Barry, it would probably be easier to take the 15lbs off you than the bike, I'm in the same boat there. The early racers, both cars and bikes, were bump or push start. I don't exactly know how it was accomplished and would welcome info as well. Jordan
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Barry, the bike will run just fine without a battery.All you have to do is disconnect the wires from the "engine stop device" If I remember correctly it is the piggybacked wire on the ign modules under the tank.The downside is the kill switch and ign. switch won't turn the engine off when you want to stop it.You also won't have much in the way of lighting.You will have to rig a kill switch to ground the modules and a cap may not be sufficent to absorb the meager output of the Hellfire Ducati charging system. I would remove the starter and related hardware and run a small AGM battery tucked away up under the seat or back against the fender.
vmebarry
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by vmebarry »

Hi Jordan and Dietz,

It has no kill switch now, as the wiring was jimmy rigged when someone crash it. It has been passed around the Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts for years, and everyone just Kick starts it, and pops the clutch to stop it. The capacitor would be just to run the lights, when you turn on the key. Hell it is hot wired now. It don't need the key to start, just someone who knows how to start it... better than an alarm system! Good Luck! If I have it set up correctly, it will start easily, but if not, It is a pain in the ....

I have been thinking about putting a Kill Switch on it, but only can find Kill Button for 5/8ths bars. I still would have to build a plate and gasket to cover the starter hole, though I removed the chain the last time I was in there, as it does not work anyway. Just getting rid of the extra weight on this runner would be good. I will have to hook up a capacitor, and see if it will start? Or I can take your advice and use a small 12 volt. I bought a Sealed Gel style Sportster battery for it, and can just put that in it, as they last for ever... But unless I am going to hook up the electric start, it is a waste of space and weight. It is long term planning at this point as it has to have the front head off. One of the Bearings came loose, and is floating on the cam shaft. Nice! Could use new rings, but I am just don't want to pull off the rear, as I will have to drop the engine to do it

Thanks for your advice. Best Regards,
Barry
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

No battery

Post by Lumpy »

I recently saw an SS on Pommie eBay that had no side covers and no battery. I`d be interested in offloading my battery as well as all mine are kickers so I emailed him and asked how he did it. He had actually mounted the battery under the rear seat cowel but had experimented with a heat heat sink to rid it of the battery but claimed it was unsuccessful as it generated too much heat so went back to the battery. I don`t know but I rekon there would have to be a way. I do value that see through look on bikes and would like to piff that battery that does no more than offer lights when it`s stopped. I have an old Honda XR500 I use for frightening wild life in rural areas and she`s battery free and has lights and electrickery when it`s in full flight. There`s gotta be a way. Any auto leccy`s out there that can shed some light...........pardon the pun. I also recall a Triumph Bonnie some time ago than had a large finned device mounted on the lower triple clamp that I was told allowed loosing the battery. Many years ago now and memory fading.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”