76 - 900SS ecletric ignition

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The Ducati ign. stator is the whitish plastic looking blob behind the flywheel/primary gear.You can see it by looking through the three holes in the flywheel.The flywheel takes a special three legged puller to remove as it is on a taper fit to the crank. If you pull the left side cover you will see what I'm talking about.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Thanks for that , I made a few calls and looks like not every one rewinds the stator coils anymore and most will only do a temp fix of sorts ,
I did find a place in NSW that repairs and changes to some new parts , the price I was quoted for was trade price at AU$200

Another place in Italy , I have found that makes brand new stator units with today's electric components and better grade wiring etc ,
I'm waiting on a reply back from them on cost and delivery supply

Steve [US]
I noticed that in your shop you sell the DMC kit for the 750's

I only found an old link for your shop site http://www.bevelheaven.com/stuff-for-sale-ign-kits.htm

Can you get me a price for the Moto Witt ignition DMC/2 750SS/860GT/GTS/900SS
This kit replaces ignition for all squarecase Bevel engines with original Ducati Electronica ignition. Easy installation and adjustment.
Scope of supply includes 2 Pick Ups, ready mounted to the groundplate, sidecover gasket and exhaust gasket! ONLY FOR ENGINES WITHOUT ELECTRIC STARTER !!
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

This must be what the std unit looks like ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=002
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

I do not sell the DMC kits any longer as the instructions are in German only and installation is not an easy task. I had too many complaints from customers so decided to not deal with them any longer.

That said, I was told at the time I decided to stop that an english version to the instructions would someday become available. I will reconsider at that time if I am going to stock them of not.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Spub
Mach 3

Post by Spub »

Martin: If you find a Lucas RITA system (would have to be used, but they come up on E-bay every now and then) that would be a great find. Have had no problems with mine, some guys do not like the fact it runs off the rear bevel tower and they cannot use a gear gazer....

I have a DMC ignition on my Laverda JOTA. The instructions are in english; somewhat broken english, mind you, but in english, so perhaps the 900SS instructions now come in english. Much easier installation on bikes that have the normal points set up as it is much easier to get out compared to the 900SS,; it's just a matter of substituting the optical pick up for the points and hooking up the CPU.
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

There is a Rita system on ebay at the moment but not complete , I think when the time comes I will go for the Silent Hektik system http://www.silent-hektik.com/Duc_750GT.htm and be done with it , by the time you get someone to repair the original unit that comes with a limited 1 year warranty for AU$350 or so , when compared to the Silent unit that gives you different advance setting etc for AU$1500 Mate at the end of the day we spend so much on out toys why not go all the way and have no worries riding pleasure

The DMC unit wouldnt have bothered me in German at all as I can read it quite well
Spub
Mach 3

Post by Spub »

Martin: I'll try to snag that RITA box on Ebay. May simply hold it as a spare, because if something breaks on this system, 9 times out of 10 it will be the black box. If you can get the pick up and reluctor, then you can get the box off me and have a whole system.
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Thanks Spub
I will keep that in mind should I ever come across the rest of the system
I have just written to Moto Witt in German , and man after 35 odd years of not having the write it , I can truely say what a hunt of of a job that was :lol: ,Seing I have a workshop here in OZ, lets see if Witt will sell me at trade price to me

At the moment it is between Moto Witt (DMC) or Silent Hektik systems as these are the only once I can find that do a kit for the rotten Ducati Electronica system I'm sure there are more out there but from the looks of it most are in Germany
conti-mental
Mach 3

DMC Ignition

Post by conti-mental »

I fitted a DMC to my '75 ss last year.
Steve's right - the installation instructions are lousy, so I put some together.
I did quite a lot of research into the system, and the main problem is that the kit needs a good set of pickups to work well: DMC don't provide these.
I'd also say that the installation is very challenging, and requires a huge amount of patience and an above average mechanical aptitude (i.e. perfect for a Ducati owner ;) ).
You have to pull the whole primary drive off to make any adjustments - I stripped an exhaust thread in the process :oops:
You'll also need the factory timing tool which fits through the oil feed boss on the clutch cover.
The conversion ain't cheap - or easy, but by God it's worth it!
My SS has gone from being a bit of a pig below 2k to being super smooth and tractable from tickover right the way up.
The clutch used to be quite grabby and juddery when trying to do a gentle set off, and it's cured that too - the bike is easy in traffic now where it used to be nigh on impossible.
The Silent Hektik one does work with the e-start rotor. I don't know anything about how good it is, but they do provide pickups.

Cheers,

Andy
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Hi Andy
Would you be able to PM your instructions , I have also gotten in touch with Uwe Witt , he said it was straight forward but instructions were in German , I asked several other questions and I'm waiting on a reply

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”