Nippondenso Rev Counter

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Elliot
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Nippondenso Rev Counter

Post by Elliot »

Gents

The Rev counter in my darmah has started playing up. It is happy to respond to acceleration but hangs up when the engine RPM comes off.

I have checked the cable and it is free and oiled and even by turning it by hand I can replicate this fault.

Is it possible to access the internals to the gauge. There looks to be a crimped seal around the circumference that appears to hold the front and back of the gauge together.

Are there any repairable parts inside and how do you access them?

Any help much appreciated,
Owner of two 78 Dramahs as I can't afford a 900SS or a Greenframe!
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

The Tacho is is crimped sealed , you could open it but you would need the special tools to crimp a new ring back on , there are places that repair speedo's and the like that will do the job for you the last one I had done cost me AU$160 , you might be better of buying a good 2nd hand unit , if you get stuck finding one, PM I have a couple spare
gavin
Mariana

Post by gavin »

gowanloch`s have some cheap replicas about 80 aud.i bought one for my ssd.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

the ones that gowies sell are repos that they had made 20 years ago or so difference is the originals had ND and the later ones Niko seiko or something along that line and slightly different color
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Elliot,
I had a set of ND instruments for my Laverda restored in Brisbane by Lionel Otto Instruments. They can put new dials on, replace needles and put a new bezel on etc. The catch is that they have a waiting list that is quite long because of demand for their services and also they are not cheap. They also did a set of Smiths for an MV for me and they came up perfect. If you are interested:- www.ottoinstruments.com.au
Elliot
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Elliot »

Thanks for the info on Otto.

A professional looking outfit. I had two sets of gauges and have swapped another gauge into that bike for the timebeing. When I get some cash I may look at getting the gauge overhauled.

In the meantime I imagine this shortcut will assist other members also.
Owner of two 78 Dramahs as I can't afford a 900SS or a Greenframe!

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”