Best restoration guide?

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
kracker
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Best restoration guide?

Post by kracker »

Hi guys, I've got a couple of projects to restore, a 900 & Mille MHR, and I'm after advice on which is the best manual(s) to purchase. Will need good ignition & wiring diagrams, plus the usual torque, clearances & specs etc. Have Ian Fallon's books but not his restoration guide, but thought I'd ask here first. Ciao4now
Aude Sapere
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

I have all the books but they don't really help a hell of a lot. How far gone are the bikes? If they are basket cases you have some real work to do, but it is enjoyable if you don't rush. If they aren't basket cases then it will be a lot of work. I have done 3 Ducati singles, 2 750GT's,4 Laverda triples and am working on an MV and I reckon I could go on for hours now about what to do.
My best advice is to take copious notes on everything down to the smallest bolt. Also take plenty of photos for the computer before you pull any thing apart. I just re-wired the MV so that the harness ran exactly the same way as it was and I was sure glad that I had 3 pages of notes and 15 photos on the computer. I also use a white board for jobs lists. Whatever you think you won't remember detail later on when you are delayed by an electroplater or whatever. I now even put labels in with bolt assemblies in to their plastic bags.
Slow at the start makes it easy at the finish. Let us know how you go.
Ian
kracker
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by kracker »

Thanks Ian, all good advice and I've done all of it, including using the white board. Have the Mille to bare frame at the moment, and if I can post pics here somewhere I'll show progress. If not I'll put them on Picasa or sim.

All the best, Moz
Aude Sapere
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

You snake !!!! :lol: You didnt tell me you had a Mille as well ,common out with the pics
kracker
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by kracker »

heheheh, so where do I post? Hey talking of snakes, those crooks in Florida still haven't returned my deposit on the bitza (shiet) 900. I did however pick up a lovely 1980 series 1 in the UK. Genuine 2 owner with original Austrian papers!!
Aude Sapere
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Yeah I thought you might of gotten that one from the UK
Bugger about the deposit , fly over and deal with them , or pass it onto a debt colection agency over there, I'm sure there doing a raoring trade in the US of late

post picture with photo bucket and just copy the link to your post

Might make some room soon for a 77 SS with genuine 2500 miles untouched.

Wanna buy another Mille ?

nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

hey martin
thats one sweet looking mhr-but glad you see the light and are thinking about a real duke-welcome to the land of the jod duplo
cheers steve
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Back to the original question, I have found the factory workshop manuals to be helpful. They are available at various sites on the internet including www.ducatimeccanica.com. Ducati Tuning by Stephen Eke has a good section on workshop procedures and the Haynes manual is useful for earlier bevel twins.

The restoration manuals by Walker and Falloon are worth a look but they often don't seem to have what I need.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
kracker
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by kracker »

Wanna buy another Mille ?

Looks good, did you rebuild yourself? Nice job if so, but no thanks, I have enough MHR's for now, 4 in total counting the UK one, which I'm not sure what to do about. Might sell back into EU as shipping individual bike back is out of control cost wise. I brought back a 1933 SOS Brooklands last year, Len's personal bike, and it cost near on 4k, almost twice the cost of actual shipping charge.
Aude Sapere
kracker
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by kracker »

[quote="abmartin"]Back to the original question,

Thanks for that Bruce, much appreciated, I'll try to get my hands on the books. Yes the oem manual is quite handy, downloaded a PDF last night.
Aude Sapere
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Yeah I bought it with white rims and they lasted about one week before I had them sprayed red , the rest was all done over a ten year period

Didnt you bring the UK bike into AU ? or is it still over there?
kracker
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by kracker »

Nope, it's sitting in a mates garage in Borden along with a Vincent Comet & RC45. I may advertise the MHR and if genuine interest I'll bring it home, otherwise I'll leave it there with the others until the economy improves.
Aude Sapere
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

A good mate of mine Terry Prince who is well known all over the world for his work and manufacturing parts for old Vincents he is a 50km's away from me and every time I'm near I call in there , just before x-mass he was working on his bike getting it ready for this years assault at Bonneville he keeps asking when em I going to get rid of my duc's and get on a real bike :lol: when you built me one I keep saying and that shuts him till next time
So if you ever need anything for your comet, let me know and I'll give you his number
kracker
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by kracker »

I think Terry is a good friend of Vincent legend Fritz Egli, who I had the pleasure of meeting recently, along with Fritz Jnr his son. I went over to look at a lot of Fritz's bikes and have been trying to find homes for them down under. He's decided to down-size the operation. What a thorough gentleman. Have you been to Egli Racing? If not I'll send some pics and of the bikes for sale.
Aude Sapere
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Yes Terry knows him well, Like Fritz , Terry is getting on a little as well, you know I offered Terry about Ten years ago that if he moved his shop to town i would help him ,but Terry and Ursula are to set in there way's to make moves like that so I guess , when he goes there will be another old tradesman gone
Although the pictures you have would be of some rare bikes and all I think I'll stick with my Duc's mind you in another 20yrs time I will most likely say ,,,,If only I had bought that :lol:

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”