73 Sport

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

73 Sport

Post by Gum »

Electronic Ignition

I have been told these are the go, I have just bought a 73 Sport, thoughts please and will this fit a 73. I want the bike to look original as well. Thanks Gum

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dyna-S-E ... enameZWD1V
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

Yes, and yes.
GT Pete
Diana

Post by GT Pete »

When I had my 750 GT, I put in a Lucas electronic ignition. The only difference from stock appearance was a small (approx. 1/4" ) spacer to raise up the points cover. It was not very noticeable. I would assume the Dyna is not much different. That electronic ignition was the best money I ever spent. The bike ALWAYS started first kick after that. Good luck with your bike.

Pete
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Thanks, I will get one.

Post by Gum »

Thanks, Gum
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

'
From what Year and Models did Ducati go electronic ignition ?
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

On production models, started with '75 900SS, 750SS, and 860 range. Ducati Electronica. Provision (I understand) for electronic ignition was made on the roundcase engines but never implemented during production.
Cheers
Geoff
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Ok than so it would be save to say that a 76/77 square case 900/860 would have electronic ign.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Gum, the Dyna ign. is the way to go. The only really visible difference is the lead from the points housing is grey instead of black. Fitting requires lifting the housing and repositioning the drive gear 1 tooth,back if I remember correctly. The reward is one kick starting and absolute reliability. Mine has been installed for over 20yrs. and I can't remember the last time I've had the points cover off. Install the coils too!
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Martin, The 76-77's had the Ducati electronic ign. and if you find one that still produces sparks, savor the experience as it won't last for long! The units were very prone to dropping a cyl. when they got warm or just pooping altogether. They made LUCAS look like the pillar of reliability. If you have one that works run your plug gaps down to about 020" to reduce the voltage required the jump the gap. They seem to last a bit longer that way.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”