ss headlight

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
jads
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

ss headlight

Post by jads »

i've been doing a bit of work on my 75 ss and dropped my headlight while pulling it off and broke it-are replacement glasses available?=i have'nt been able to find any on the net. anyone have a source for this part

ta jads
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

If it was the JOD Duplo there are no replacements being made, you will have to find an original. There is one on eBay right now, NOS with the reflector, going for over $600.00 currently. It will probably go for a grand or more. If the bidders are on here and read this, you are just driving the prices up the next time one comes around. I would lay odds the seller has a small hoard of them and will let them out very slowly for maximum profit.
jads
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jads »

that seems expensive-i cant find that part on e bay?
so what your saying is i need to secretly look to keep the price down :shock:
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

These prices are why some of us with the rare 900's are reluctant to use them too much as a crash can be a real worry. Having said that I am putting mine back on the road this year under historic plates, but I may have to replace the irreplaceable parts before doing so.
jads
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jads »

this is a sad state of affairs,i think too many people are hoarding parts for no good reason.
sounds like you'll be riding a jap bike if you take off all the rare parts,
i'll just ride mine and what happens happens
i have crashed it a few times,luckily with minimal damage
jads
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

cafe*racer wrote:. There is one on eBay right now, NOS with the reflector, going for over $600.00 currently........[/size]
Jordon you got the item number on that one as I cant find it either!

Found it Item number: 190278476700

cheers
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

thanks for the e bay number martin-i couldnt find it either
now you know why i paid so much for mine-and mine was a complete headlight!
cheers steve
jads
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jads »

nt68
where do i source one of these,i only need the glass and the e bay one is beyond my price
ta jads
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

i doubt you'll get glass only-complete light or nothing seems the logical thing
jads
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jads »

sounds like gum better bring his headlight back to oz in his pocket :?:
conti-mental
Mach 3

Jod Headlight

Post by conti-mental »

I have the Jod reflector assembly for the '75 model I'm restoring- the glass is fine but the reflector's tossed - needs a re-chrome.
Has anyone successfully stripped and rebuilt one?

Any advice welcome!

At least the Cibie one fits in the meantime ;o)

On the topic of irreplaceable, should I remove my original Borrani's?

Has the World gone mad??!! I saw a clip on Youtube recently, from an Oz motors programmme....'this 750ss is too valuable to ride, so here's what the 750GT sounds like...' or somesuch.

Lordy!

Cheers,

Andy
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Jads, this might work for you too, not the real thing but as a replacement: http://cgi.ebay.com/Ducati-750-GT-Sport ... dZViewItem I have seen this happen with vintage/antique car items on eBay over the last 10 year or so, a few people with more money than you know what drive the prices way up. The all of a sudden they dissappear and the bottom falls out. Patience is a virtue. J.
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Andy,
The borranis don't worry me but the headlight glass does and I have yet to get a correct replacement for the original brake mastercylinder....been looking for years. The contis are also an issue.
Nottonight posted a solution to your headlight question a while ago after I asked the same question. That was to fill the headlight assembly with acetone and after 6 days the lens should come free allowing you to take it to an electroplater and have it re-silvered, then re-glue it.
Ian
conti-mental
Mach 3

Post by conti-mental »

Macdesmo wrote:Andy,
The borranis don't worry me but the headlight glass does and I have yet to get a correct replacement for the original brake mastercylinder....been looking for years. The contis are also an issue.
Nottonight posted a solution to your headlight question a while ago after I asked the same question. That was to fill the headlight assembly with acetone and after 6 days the lens should come free allowing you to take it to an electroplater and have it re-silvered, then re-glue it.
Ian
Ian, thanks for the advice (and Nottonight!).
As far as Contis go I'd guess it's only a matter of time before they run another batch; I was fortunate that the market was flooded when I needed some.

I've seen a few front master cylinders come up over the years on e-bay, and although I've been tempted, I'm content to stay with my strictly incorrect but OK later type with the plastic reservior.

Unfortunately, I'll probably succumb to market forces and go the correct route eventually `-*

If there's enough interest to manufacture brand new Manx Nortons, surely brembo could be persuaded to rattle off a few more bits?
Lockheed did another batch of racing calipers following the Museum fire here in the UK, so it's not unknown.
If so, put me down for some shaved calipers!

A '75 kickstart would be good, too!

Cheers,

Andy
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

interesting thread this-seems ss owners are concerned about originality more so than others
seems to me that most hard to find parts are on the front end
-headlight
-m/cyl
-shaved calipers
-brake lines
-rims
-sliders
-etc
makes me wonder if available parts were used up years ago for front end crash repairs
cheers steve

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”