Coil Pick-ups wiring

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Coil Pick-ups wiring

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Hi All

I warmed the new bike up this arvo and after a while I noticed that there was a miss and that the left pipe did not have as stronger pulse as the right side
After I check a few things over I found what was causing the miss, and I was surprised that it ran at all the new green coil should have been a give away as no doubt they were chasing the miss but did not find the problem the red arrow is where the burnt insulation was and the wires were touching the rest of the insulation just fell apart

Can some one tell me what the go is with setting the pick-ups correctly after I have made the necessary repairs to the wiring
Would I be able to use better wire or em I stuck with this old crap ??

machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

To do it properly you'll need to remove the pickups. Solder the new wire close to the pickups, about an inch away, or closer if you're absolutely confident on your soldering ability. I wimped out and got an Ace to do mine - bear in mind they've been immersed in oil a long time, so clean up the wires properly. Then you'll need the special tool to re-install them correctly. Check your local Ducati Owners club, they often have them, or ask your bevel mechanic to do it - he'll definitely have one.

I think I saw recently that Steve now has some wire specifically for the purpose. OK to immerse in hot oil, and with the correct colour codes to boot.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

thanks for that I will have a look at Steves site and see if I can find the wire in question

What is one of these tools worth ?

Cheers
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

No idea. It's one of those things you'd never buy becuase you need them once every blue moon unless you're a bevel mechanic.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

BOSCH pickup wire in stock
http://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=997

2 wire generator wire in stock
http://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=996

My opinion here..........

DO NOT REMOVE THE PICKUPS !!!!

THere is no need to do so to splice the new wire to the old. You are just asking for problems. There is a special tool that is used to place the pickups in the correct alignment. But, that is not entirely a true statement as you still need to go in and use a dial and set them precisely. The special tool will get them very close to perfect at least perfectly aligned to eachother. I have one of these tools and customers send me their covers to set their pickups after doing this job and removing the pickups, then putting everything back together and wondering why their bike is now running worse than before..... No problem with me, I will take your money and do the job but it is just best to do it right the first time.....
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

I'll bow to Steve's opinion here. I'm sure he's done it more than me. (Like I've done it once). I might have (for once in my life) got lucky.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Doh ....to late took them off last night
anyway you say once you have set them back up in your shop all will be well or can this ajdustment be done on the bike ?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

the factory tool puts the pickups at the exact place they need to be in relation to eachother. It also put the pair then approximately where they need to be [the part of the tool that locates the pickup position rotates].

As you can imagine, some engines would require slightly different settings. All the engines I have set up with my tool have ran pretty well with just that done.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

ok thanks for that , I will cross that bridge when I get to it in due time
desodero
Mariana

Post by desodero »

hi martin,recently purchased a new clutch cover,had to remove and repair pickup/ wiring from old cover and put into new cover,then took down to
gowanlochs he reset pickup positon for a reasonable price
cheers derek.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Yeah I just got of the phone to Ron Young about the same think and no worries to get it done there are a couple of other mods that have to be done to the pick up

Steve my order is Order Number 8135

cheers
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

yep just got it and it is packed up and ready to go out tomorrow for you. thanks
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

By The Way Steve

You still got those used SS header pipes ?
how much to send them down to me ? at the same time as my order
Grover
Diana

Pickups

Post by Grover »

Martin, Ron Yound did my pickups the other week when he re-assembled my gearbox. He modify's the pickup blades as well as they move out and hit the rotor. As you found out, the guy is a genius on these old engines and you won't need to remove an arm or leg to pay him.
The older we get, the more toys we collect!!!
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

martin my hernieated disk won;t alow me to climb around and pull out the box that has exhaust stuff inside so I don;t have a clue as to what is in there right now.

I do have a new set of aftermarket SS header pipes and crossover if you are interested, shoot me an email to discuss

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”