UPDATE Alternator wire insulation deterioration

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
baddean
Parallel Twin

UPDATE Alternator wire insulation deterioration

Post by baddean »

I searched this forum and didn't find anything on this.
While replacing the stock alt. rotor with the one from Road and Race I set the cover aside and in the process discovered that the wire insulation right at the cover has gotten brittle and the wires are now (because I moved them around) bare and touching each other.
I had to rewire my 916 for the same reason but I had a lot more wire to work with.
I know I can get a new alternator from R&R but on their web site I see that there are no wires attached to it. Can I remove the wires from my stock stator and replace with new wires or will the heat from the soldering process damage the stator?
I know that this has been a problem on Ducatis for a long time (too small wires, heat, yadda yadda). I have no problem running new wiring but I have no experience removing them directly from the stator.
If any one here has done the R&R alternator upgrade, how did you fasten the wires to the stator?
Thank you in advance for any help,
Dean
Last edited by baddean on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Hi Dean, you can get some bullet connectors [basically just a straight tube that the end of 2 wires slip into then get crimped] and run some teflon coated wire. Yes you can solder new wire direct. I have teflon coated wire kits in the works [for both the alt wires and the ign pickup wires] and will get em done and posted to my shop when I get back from MAUI
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hi Steve,
I hope you won't rush back from Maui just to get the wires up on your site.
Thanks for the reply.
I've since stubbed the new wires onto what was left sticking out of the case not being sure I could apply heat directly the the stator terminals. I may redo the job when I can get your teflon coated wires.
My wife wants to know when you are going to post new pics of Grace the Bevel Baby?
Thanks again, Dean
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Well, the alternator wires are replaced along with the new rotor from Road and Race.
With the original charging setup I had 12.8 volts max at 4000rpm and 12.2 with the lights on at the battery. With the lights on it would go below 12 volts at idle.
Now with the new rotor only (still using original stator and regulator) I have 12.8 volts at idle and 13.5v at 2000rpm and it goes to 15.3volts at 4000 rpm at the battery.
With the high beam, the tail light and the brake light on I am still getting 14 volts at the battery.
Excellent upgrade.
Dean

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”