Generator indikator ligth is on all the time

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Per Garbos
Diana

Generator indikator ligth is on all the time

Post by Per Garbos »

On my 900 S2 from 82/83, the red generator indikator ligth is on all the time.
From the moment I turn the key and even before I start the engine the ligth is on, but I am not sure its correct.

From my point of wiev, it should only show the red ligth when the engine is running, but maybe I am wrong ?

I don´t seems to have any problems with the electric power and the regulator is also getting a little bit warm as it should be.

I really hope someone can advise me.

Best regards Per Garbos
Kilmer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Kilmer »

Hey Per,

Seeing that you'r from Denmark, maybe the link below can be of some help. My family an I own a couple of older Ducatis and has over the years experienced different uses og the Gen indicator light.

I thing originally it was intended as a warning light, in case of generator / powerfailur - this conclusion comes from the fact that alot of the old Duc's gen. indicator light 'flashes' at low rpms and stops as the engine gets to higher rpms. Meaning that at higher rpm the generator produces the amount of power needed.

Has the problem allways been there?

http://www.ducati.dk/teknik/laderelaer.html
Ducati 916
Ducati 900 SL
Ducati 750 Sport '88
Ducati 900 SS replica
Ducati 900 SS Darmah
Ducati 900 GTS
Laverda SF2
Nordon Dominator 99
Yamaha WR 200
Per Garbos
Diana

Post by Per Garbos »

Hi Kilmer, Thanks for Your reply.
I will check the electric system as described at the ducati web site.

But I am not really sure its a problem, its only that the generator light is on all the time and from my point of view it seems unusual.

I only have been owner of the bike for about 6 month (exchanged my 750 SS belt drive for this bevel) and since I had to start with a complete rebuilding of the engine because of big end break down, it is first now I am starting to focus at the Generator indicator light.

Otherwise I think the bevel really is a great bike and now the engine is running perfect.

Best regards Per
darren nix
Diana

indicator light on

Post by darren nix »

i have an 81 hailwood and i have been told, and apparently it says this in the workshop manual as well, that the generator light is on to show that the system is charging, i was told this also when i bought the bike from the previous owner to make sure the light was always on, so i am no electric guru but i think you should be alright , if not someone will help out
Kilmer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Kilmer »

What Darren says might be true. I havent seen the schematics of an S2 electrical system. Either way your right about the fact, that it isnt necessarily a problem. As I recall the link I posted earlier on, explaines how to test the generator - if the generator output is high enough, there shouldn't be a problem.

In any case it is possible to alter the gen indikator light function so that its only turned on, in case of gen failure (or other related problem).

To do so you first and foremost need to aquire the electrical schematics :)
Ducati 916
Ducati 900 SL
Ducati 750 Sport '88
Ducati 900 SS replica
Ducati 900 SS Darmah
Ducati 900 GTS
Laverda SF2
Nordon Dominator 99
Yamaha WR 200
Per Garbos
Diana

Post by Per Garbos »

As far as can see, the output from the generator is okay.
Meanwhile I have read that some models only turn the generator light of when the battery is fully charged. On other models the light comes on when the battery is not being charged. Very confusing, but since I don´t seems to have problems, I think You are right Darren, it´s all as it should be.

In any case, I will now try to find a wiring diagram and check out the electrical specification for the S2.

It might be a god idea to change the function so its only on in case of failure.
But before that I have to study the electrical system much more.

Thanks a lot, Per

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”