Foggy looking glass (inside) H4 Headlight lens- How to clean

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Steve,

Did the process (either acetone or blade) stuff the rubber gasket?

Thanks for posting the solution, btw.

Kev
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

yes,
use neutral cure sealant when reassembling
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

I believe the aluminum vapour process is what was used in the munufacturing of the old cathode ray television sets...Anyway, Steve where did you get the JOD reflector? Please PM me, I would trade my first born (if I had one), gladly pay that price if there is another out there. Missed one on eBay years ago and kicking myself ever since. Thanks, Jordan
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

what bike is it for
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

It is actually for my GT turned SS clone...I dislike sealed beams and fancy being able to install my own bulb. There may be cheaper alternatives out there, but I want to stick with authentic parts wherever I can.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

you should look for a headlight from a 500 parrallel twin-they are the same part
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

success ! the headlight is separated.
i filled it up with acetone & put it in two shopping bags in a bucket.
had a look the next day-acetone had leaked out of light through seal.
put another two bags around it-refilled and tied up tightly.
six days later-removed ,lightly ran blade around and then lightly pushed glass though lamp hole with screwdriver handle.glass came away easy as.
problem solved

cheers steve
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Steve,
You have done very well! I think that when I try this I might do the reverse and turn the headlight up the other way and feed limited acetone from the topside. What do you think now that you have been thru this?

Also, the 900SS from the bike factory has sold, do you know what it sold for?
Ian
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

either way you need to have the seal soaked in acetone-i dont think it will work the other way-no damage was done to glass or reflector.

bike factory bike-i was in there the other day, they were asking for offers over $60,000,so i guess they got that-i'll ask the question next time im in there
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Its a rainy day in Sydney today, and I still hadn't separated the lens from the reflector, turned it upside down poured paint stripper till the lens was halve filled and let it sit for a few hours. I used a wooden dowel to push the glass from the inside and with no force what so ever the lens separated nicely.

Tell me about this aluminum vapour process bit or is it just as good to get the reflector re-chromed?
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

From what I can find on the net, it seems that aluminum vapor coating as a surface preparation to chrome or silvering is superior to the standard plating process and would prevent surface failure over many years. (a quick yahoo or google search will bring far more technical info than I will go into here) I was speaking a bit out of turn as I am not sure if the vapor process itself will yeild a desirable surface on its own. It is probably way overkill to go down that road and standard chrome or silver methods should be just fine. I do not know what method was used originally as I am still waiting patiently to become a member of the elusive JOD club.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Jordan , are you buying an SS or you just looking for the light?

I wonder how good this book might be and if its worth doing out own or just send it out to get the plating done
http://www.metalplatingbible.net/
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Martin, I have some experience with the home plating processes. The best kits are expensive and rely on the same toxic chemicals used by the professionals. I have seen good results with these kits on only the smallest of parts. You will save the most money by prepping the parts yourself and sending them out. Steel parts should be meticulously cleaned and repaired, brass/copper/aluminum (non-ferrous) parts should be stripped to base metal and brought to a mirror like finish before sending out. A big cost in plating is the labor involved with preparation. This is also where the difference between perfect results and just ok happens. Imperfections visible after plating are due to sloppy prep before plating; just like painting but less forgiving. Jordan

PS. Just looking for the light for my GT/Sport custom.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

I think I will just get it re-chromed

Another thing how many different styles of Aprilia headlight shells are there?
The one that was sent to me is not rounded at the rear but it has two dent like dimples either side of the rear dome, the chrome rims fits correctly as does the reflector unit , is this of some other bike?

cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Martin, that is off a 350/500 GTL. I believe its sucessor, the GTV, also used the JOD lens in a slightly different bucket.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”