Motoplat ignition coil

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Steved
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Motoplat ignition coil

Post by Steved »

There must be someone out there that has had to change the HT (Spark) Lead on a Motoplat ignition coil, due to either getting burnt or perished! Mine is from a ’84 MHR and looks like it has been moulded in.

At a rough guess I reckon that somehow I will have to pull the cable out and use a silicon sealant or epoxy to hold the new one in place. If anyone has any answers to this it would be greatly appreciated, as I don’t want to experiment on this item as the coil itself seems good.

Thanks
billedwards
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

motoplat coil repair

Post by billedwards »

hi steve,
if you dont find anyone over your way that can do the job i can sort it out for you no problem. just email me if need be. billedwards @ xtra.co.nzl
Steved
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Steved »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. Basically you have told me what I need to know, all I have to do now is have a go, but it would be nice to know exactly how, rather than experiment.

However I have tried to get in touch with uk-motoplat, as their web site seems to imply that they have the information, but as of yet no response.

Steve
Steved
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Steved »

Just for future reference to anyone interested, I’ve solved the problem of replacing the HT (Spark) leads.

Using a fine disk cutter, cut the hump part of the coil off, just above the centreline of the old cable. Next dig out the area around the end of the lead, which will expose a soldered joint. This can be done either with a fine tipped soldering iron or fine grinding attachment.
Resolder your new cable, cover with some expoxy resin, and away you go. Well nearly!#?!#?!#?!

Maybe someone might help with my next issue concerning these coils. It seems that the polarity was reversed on the rear coil, which in theory would cause a significant reduction in spark power. Is this intended? or have the leads been reversed at some stage unknown to myself as I never sensed any sort of problems up to now.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”