Wanted 450scr parts

Post your single cylinder Ducati FOR SALE and WANTED ads here.
brack
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Wanted 450scr parts

Post by brack »

Hi,
I have recently bought a 1969 450scr and am in the process of doing it up to use as a regular ride.
I need at the moment a gas tank and also where can I get a replacement oil filter for this bike from? I plan to change the oil to Mobil 1 fully synth, is this the right thing to do, I was told to put monograde 40, but feel this is outdated.
Regards.
Hugh Westbury
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Wanted 450scr parts

Post by Hugh Westbury »

there is no oil filter - just a screen.

Oil selection can be controversial. I've used Mobil one without problem in my 450, and I've seen it used in many wet clutch race bikes, but some claim that it is too good a lubricate for a wet clutch. The most reasonable advice that I have is to use a good 40w mono (Valvoline or Kendall) and let the engine warm up before use.

I was told by the dealer (in 1969!) to only use Shell Rotella T. There is some merit to this as it is a diesel oil and has lots of zinc. Oils marked as "energy saving" ( such as Mobil one) have more moly and less zinc because zinc is bad for the catalyst. I still use Rotella because zinc is a good element.

The 40 and 50w straight weight oils are quieter, Valvoline is perfectly clear, Kendall is blue/green, Wolf's Head just sounds cool, LE is a beautiful red, Havoline smells really effective - take your pick. An "outdated oil" is preferable.

You must change oil very frequently - it doesn't make much difference which oil you use. You are not likely to put a lot of miles on the bike anyway.

Hugh
rnoel1969
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by rnoel1969 »

Hey Hugh, I have a 71 450 R/T that hasn't been cranked in 13 years. I have tried different things and the most I get out of it is a sputter,once! I changed the wires under the flywheel and have a new carb. Nobody in the Nashville, TN area will even work on it. I may have messed the timing up or something. This bike is out of my league to work on even with the service manuals. Very fickle. Any help would be appreciated. Ron Noel, [email protected]
Hugh Westbury
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

450 scr

Post by Hugh Westbury »

Hi Ron,

Welcome to vintage motorcycles and modern times. You will be very lucky to find someone who has the knowledge and patience to help you out. If you decide to pursue this you will be both rewarded and exasperated.

Ducati's all desire to run, your problem is likely simple but hard to identify. There are very few components that can be at fault on an old single, but any failure will prevent it from running.

Buy a new spark plug, remove the old one, plug the new one into the high tension lead, hold it against the head, kick and see if you have spark. If you do, then the issue is in the carb, but spark is a more common problem.

The flywheel needs to be timed to the points. Did you remove the flywheel? In any case, hook a 6 volt DC source to ground and the side of the coil opposite the points. It may be easier to hook up a 12 v coil and battery than to find a 6 volt battery. This should give you spark and at least some satisfying noise.

No luck? The probelm is likely the points. Are they set properly? Take an ohm meter and verify that they are opening and closing between the coil and ground. I have had oil behind the points plate cause problems, but more likely is the condensor. This is a capacitor and you should replace the stock one with a larger one mounted on the coil.

Hugh

Return to “Single Cylinder Ducati”