Singles expert opinion

Post your single cylinder Ducati FOR SALE and WANTED ads here.
machten
MHR / S2

Singles expert opinion

Post by machten »

Hi all,

A friend of mine called me today to ask about the bike pictured below.

He has an option to buy it, and whilst he's had a lot to do with bikes, he hasn't been into Ducati's up until now. He called me for some advice, but my knowledge is restricted to twins - I know next to nothing about singles. The bike is a runner and is currently road registered. The condition seems to be best desrcribed as fair - but I'm only going on the photo.

It is being presented as a 1974 350 Mark 3 (not desmo). The frame number is DM350GT 15005 and the engine number DM350 15005. On the little bit of research I've been able to do I wonder about the following:

- The tank looks like the wrong one based on photos I've seen?
- Are the side covers right for this bike?
- The seat looks like the wrong one?
- Should it have a mechanical tacho drive on the cover?

Any comments would be most appreciated on these and any other thoughts you guys might have. Also, what price range would you put on the beast as is, and what does a good restored example sell for?

Kev
Eldert
Parallel Twin

Post by Eldert »

Hi Kev

tank , front fork and sidecovers are correct for the 70 / 72 Mark 3
tourer model but according to Mick Walkers book Ducati singles that bike was only made in 450 cc

Eldert
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Eldert,

Thanks for the response. I had a look in the "Data" index Steve has on the site, and in the Australian import figures it specifies 350 MkIII's up to and including 74 (although only a few of them). They may have been older bikes being dumped, who knows? Is there any record of engine/frame numbers for singles anywhere?

I've got an old singles book that I lent to a friend. I'll get it back from him and see if i can find anything more.

In the mean time, all advice welcome!

Kev

Return to “Single Cylinder Ducati”