'80 900SS for sale

Post your bevel drive twin cylinder FOR SALE and WANTED ads in this space......
welshmally
Diana

'80 900SS for sale

Post by welshmally »

For Sale

I have finally decided to put my beloved 900SS bevel up for sale. At one point I thought that it would be a ‘keeper’ for many years to come, but neither my spine nor my shoulders can cope with the riding position any more. I will be really sad to see her go.

The details: Black and Gold 900SS, dual seat, registered January 1981 (therefore a late 1980 model - one of the last of the very best). About 28000 miles, although I cannot verify this as it’s possible that the speedo has been renewed at some point. Judging by the state of the big end when I stripped it, the mileage was about right

I have owned it for 14 years and am the 3rd owner from new although the last owner did not register it in his name. I bought it locally in 1998.

Since then, I have done quite a lot of work to it: Big ends renewed by Lacey Engineering 6000 miles ago, re-bore by Steve Wynne 2 years/2000 miles ago. The list of new parts is extensive and I have receipts for all major work and most parts. The factory-fitted lead seals were still on the crank case when I originally re-built it. The oil has been changed at least every 1000 miles with a new filter every time.

It has braided hoses to the Gold Line calipers, a hydraulic clutch conversion which works very well, but it was done by the original owner so I can’t compare it with the cable-operated clutch. It has never given me any trouble in 14 years. It’s also fitted with a RITA ignition.

It is generally in very good condition, but has a small dink in the tank, which I am prepared to get re-sprayed, but will be reflected in the price and of course delay delivery. There are a few small areas of rust on the chrome (clip-ons and kick start), and the left-hand exhaust is slightly perforated at the end as it was when I bought it so probably has at least another 5 years of life in it (never failed an MOT though). The frame is virtually rust free.

The Brembo front master cylinder has been replaced with a Grimeca replica which is a bit more powerful then the Brembo in my opinion, and looks very similar. I also fitted a pair of excellent Progressive Suspension rear shocks, but have the original Marzocchi’s as well - to be sold separately for £100 or £80 with the bike. It also comes with a new CRG rear view bar-end mirror which gives a vibration-free image.

The wiring is generally sound, but my electrical skills are not wonderful and you may want to tidy it up. But at the end of the day, don’t forget that this is an old Ducati………..

Whilst this is not a concourse bike, it is in good condition and mechanically very sound. It has not been ridden in the rain very much whilst I have owned it, but I did get caught out a few times over the years! It is stored in a warm, dry garage. It won Best Bike at the 3rd Merlin Rally a few years ago

I am hoping this bike will go to a good home - to somebody that will actually ride it more than I can as it only has one place in my opinion - out on the winding road!!

There will be a large box of bits and bobs to go with it: original levers, a pair of Keihan S/S Conti Replica’s (a bit dented), Brembo front master cylinder and lever which could possibly be restored with the right engineering skills, pair of K&N air filters (if you really want to fit them…..), new oil filter and other odds and ends including any bits I replaced with aftermarket items (apart from the Marzocchi’s).

I also have a spare alternator stator, which I will be selling separately for £120 or £100 with the bike.

This sale is being made very reluctantly, as we have been through thick and thin together, but it needs to go to somebody that will ride it more than I can. The lucky buyer will be able to ride this bike from day one as it’s just had an oil change and the carbs have just been balanced. It also has been taxed until March.

I’m looking for £14,500

Contact by PM - I live in Cardiff, Wales, UK

Please mail me for photographs and any further info.

Return to “Bevel Drive Twins”