Value and Authenticity 750s

Post your bevel drive twin cylinder FOR SALE and WANTED ads in this space......
AussieDuc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Value and Authenticity 750s

Post by AussieDuc »

Guys,

I am looking to buy this '74 750 sport. The numbers check out are in our registery. What do you think of the authenticity of the bike? From a value perspective which year '72, '73 or '74 is the most to least valuable or are they all the same?
1974 750 S
1974 750 S
machten
MHR / S2

Re: Value and Authenticity 750s

Post by machten »

Looks a pretty correct 74 to me. The picture isn't detailed enough to have a good look at it.
  • It looks like it has aftermarket horns on it.
    The tail light and mount is US spec.
    Whatever is situated just above the horns isn't factory - perhaps some different coil arrangement?
    If those headlight ears are chrome they should be verlicchi matt black
    The headlight doesn't look quite right, but it may just be the photo.
All in all looks pretty complete.

From a value perspective, I'd say the black case 73's are becoming slighty more desirable than the 74's, but I'm not sure that actually translates into a difference in the price. Condition and completenes is much more significant. Genuine 72's are very rare. Difficult to put a price on them as they are very rarely seen for sale (and not easy to verify as a genuine Sport, too, I'm told)

Here's some pics of three of them together in this thread below. We've got a 78 model around now, I must get a shot of all of them together sometime.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3224

At the end of the day, Sports don't pop up that often, so the year may be irrelevent. I know the next person to get mine will have pried it out of my cold dead hands! :vroom:

Kev
Last edited by machten on Sat May 19, 2012 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
AussieDuc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by AussieDuc »

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the useful info. EI have seen your thread and the bikes look fantastic!

A few more questions?

How many sports were made each year?

Whats this about '78 model sports?
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Kev and AussieDuc
Genuine 72's are ... not easy to verify as a genuine Sport, too, I'm told
I think that's in large part due to the use of the same frame on the '72 Sport as the GT, with the wide rear subframe. The top mounts of the rear shocks on the '72s are conspicuously different to those of the later models. Apparently the '72 Sports shared the same engine and frame number sequence as the GT of the time too. It's quite probable that more exist today than were manufactured.
Sport numbers per year:
1972: Falloon estimates fewer than 100, and probably around 50 (Ducati 750 Bible).
1973: 746
1974: 856 including 200 US models
1978: 23
Figures for '73-'78 from Falloon's "Standard Catalog of Ducati motorcycles". The '78s were only brought to Australia, having been built at the request of Norm Fraser along with 40 GTs.

Steve
1974 Ducati 750 GT
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

+1 on all that Steve said.

Kev

Return to “Bevel Drive Twins”