77 900SS Back on the Road

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
Spub
Mach 3

77 900SS Back on the Road

Post by Spub »

Last February I purchased a restored 900SS from a collector in Arizona. This bike was in excellent cosmetic condition, but it had not been ridden for several years, it was an artpiece that was kept in the guys living room.

I was warned that 900s could be a pregnant dog to start, so I was not surprised when I was unable to start it upon delivery. After some cleaning and adjusting of the carbs, adding fresh gas and checking the plugs...and, oh yeah, about 1000 kicks...the thing finally fired.....but it did not idle at all...and it remained a "25th or so" kicker.....I got side tracked with a Norton that I had restored for me back east and which was delivered, but I recently returned to the 900SS to finish the job....the poor running condition was perplexing me, and further it was smoking from the front jug exhaust...I decided to get professional help........er, for the bike, that is....took it to a bevel mechanic who went through the entire bike. Turns out the timing was off by a tooth on the bevel gear....leak down test indicating no problems with the bore, and since the engine had not been run in at the time I purchased it (only had 200 miles or so on it from complete overhaul) I was told to take it easy and let the rings seat...smoking is going away, by the way....anyway, when I picked up the bike I was told they had not worked out a "stutter" in the fuel delivery at about 4-5K, but otherwise bike idled and started much better. Rode it for myself and decided to experiment with swapping some jets, needles and a new atomizer to see if this improved matters....did not really change things, but I also suspected the ignition was too advanced since it kicked back severely at times when I tried to start it. Bike has Rita Lucas ignition, and comparing the stock setting with the setting as the bike came, it was clear the ignition was severely advanced...some liberal retarding of the ignition (not quite to Rita suggested setting, but close) the bike runs like a champ...I would say a "sometimes first, usually second, but definitely third" kick starter.....no more "stutter", clean pick up from idle to 5.5-6K no problems (do not want to take it over this until fully broken in) and more torque than a 420lb pound bike should ever wish for (hell, make that a 700 bike for that matter). There may have been other 70s "superbikes", but none of them, including the 750 MVs, Moto Guzzi LeMans and Laverda SFCs, can hold a candle to this bike for power, power delivery and handling....of course, to be fair, all of these bikes could complete a U turn within the area of a football field - unlike a certain Italian bike I know of....but that's just picking nits......Now, the fine tuning....bike has K&N filters, but I was thinking of velocity stacks, since this is how they came stock...anyone wear out their slides using these, or can the PHMs tolerate this if you keep keep the bike on paved roads? Bike came with PHMs and Contis. Already did the case/swingarm savers, O ring chain, new rear shocks and new sprockets (went from a 16/36 to a 16/39)...and yes, for you guys back east, we are still riding on the West Coast.....
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

stacks

Post by BevHevSteve »

Stephen, I run Malossi velocity stacks all the time. I also spray some carb cleaner in the carbs when I am done with my ride while the bike is running out of gas . I also recommend you pull the top caps, pull the slide and spray the slide with some carb cleaner, wipe, then wipe the slide bores and reinstall every thousand or so miles [2 - 3 rides for me]. I don;t get to ride all the time, so when I do get clearance from the tour guide [aka my wife] I like to be gone for a while.

Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Spub
Mach 3

Post by Spub »

Tried the Malossi velocity stacks you sent Steve, and, it may be my imagination, but the bike seems to run a bit smoother and the induction noise is more prominent compared to the K&Ns...regardless, even if it is my imagination, they look GREAT on the bike, so, unless they hampered performance, they stay on.....Good idea on wiping down the slides...checked them after a 90 mile or so ride, and they appeared quite clean (which, given L.A.'s rather sooty air, is saying a lot)...
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Good deal. Hey Stephen, when are you going to post some photos of your beeeeeutiful bike for us all to see??? Hmmm?
Spub
Mach 3

Post by Spub »

Well Steve, first I'm gonna have to take some pix of it, then figure out how to post them...is the "posting images" info under "FAQ" the only tutorial we have on posting pix?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Return to “The Rumour Mill”