1975 250 Single Desmo - Help Needed

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
pearcey
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

1975 250 Single Desmo - Help Needed

Post by pearcey »

Hi I'm about to buy my first Ducati ! and need some help identifying the proposed bike..
Its advertised as a '75 250cc Desmo - its immaculate condition and quite expensive so I want to make sure its original and not a clone and i've noticed in the picture that it has Marzocchi forks with a Drum brake. I may be wrong but I thought that all singles from '73 onwards were fitted with a disc ?

Also how can I tell that its a Desmo and not an ohc ?

thankyou very much for any information you might be able to help me with..

and btw, a brilliant site - its helped me immensely

richard
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

singles

Post by BevHevSteve »

hey richard, check out the brochure gallery, you won;t see too many singles with disk brakes, just a couple by the way.

http://www.bevelheaven.com/brochure-index.htm

I am no expert on singles but there are some out there who will chime in soon with info for you.

desmo vs OHC

desmo is the fact that there are no valve springs, there are opening and closing rockers for the valves

OHC is overhead cam
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Hugh Westbury
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Hugh Westbury »

The outside cam bearing housing (above the sparkplug) is different between desmo and non. They are physically different and cannot be interchanged. DESMO will be clearly spelled out on the casting.

Hugh
rcrigan
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by rcrigan »

I hope you were able to get your 250, Richard. I bought a new Desmo 450 in 1973. At the time, all Desmo's had Marzochhi forks and drum brakes, at least in Australia. The discs arrived when the yellow tank model came out, superseding the silver fibreglass tank. I still have a spare four-shoe front brake that I had better put on eBay. I'm not going to use it now.
regards
Robert

Return to “The Rumour Mill”