Bevel-specific tools/spares to carry on a long trip

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
BultacoConvert
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Bevel-specific tools/spares to carry on a long trip

Post by BultacoConvert »

Hi all,
I bought my 1st vintage Duc earlier this year ('78 Darmah 900SD w/PHM40's) and I'm planning/hoping to ride it on a coast to coast trip next year from GA to CA and back. I finally have a bike that's comfy enough to do it compared to my newer sportbikes. I rode my 848 to the Indy motogp with a backpack and that was far enough for me on that bike(1200 miles round trip)! I expect this trip to be about 5500 miles. I'll make sure the bike is well sorted out before I leave with a valve adjust and new tires and so on. So I have a few questions for the experts:
1. What essential tools and spare parts would you carry with you? (Oil filter, inner tube, etc...) keeping in mind that cargo space is limited
2. Any certain saddlebags or luggage brands that fit good?
3. Are these bikes and carbs really sensitive to altitude changes? It's 1000ft above sea level where I live but I'll pass thru the Rockies where it's 10,000 - 12,000
4. Anything else I should look out for?
Thanks for the advice!
Craig
baddean
Parallel Twin

Re: Bevel-specific tools/spares to carry on a long trip

Post by baddean »

Hi Craig, Welcome to Beveldom.
Start with luggage. Anything hard will require custom mounting bracketry so soft is probably the way to go.
There are a lot of good choices available. I like the Tourmaster line. Very affordable (don't let that fool you) durable, well made.
http://www.sporttour.com/products/2206- ... addlebags/
http://www.sporttour.com/products/2187- ... t-Tailbag/
http://www.sporttour.com/products/2192- ... tic-Mount/

As far as tools go, other than engine failure ( which you won't deal with on the side of the road), tires will be your biggest concern. Back in the old days we had to carry everything with us because we didn't have cell phones to contact anyone for help. At minimum you should have a tube (one) that will fit both ends. A 4.00x18 should suffice. A patch kit and 2 spoons to remove and replace the tire. And, of course the proper wrenches to get the wheels off. These may not be readily available in the boonies. A CO2 inflator is also essential, and small and easy to carry. These tire needs would be essential even if you or someone got you to a gas station or dealership. If you keep an eye on your tire inflation during the trip your tires should last to get you home so a tire gauge would be good.
Small can of chain lube and some extra engine oil ( if you use something not readily available).
Don't carry nonessential "stuff" that is easily accessable or purchased on your route.
If you have a destination in mind in CA you could ship service items specific to your bike there prior to leaving on your trip. Oil, filter, plugs, etc. That way you could perform service halfway through and before you head back which is recommended.
As far as carb settings are concerned you will be spending 95% of your time at altitudes that won't effect the way the bike runs. For the minimal amount of time you will be at higher altitudes it is not worth the concern. Yes the bike will run poorly starting at about 7000 feet but you won't be spending that much time there. It will run rich so the biggest effect will be on the plugs so you might carry a spare set.
Your best tool might be your phone and charger.
Let us know when you head out to we can keep an eye on you.
Good luck,
Dean
Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP
BultacoConvert
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by BultacoConvert »

Thanks Dean, you covered everything I was wondering about. I think I can remove the wheels and do an oil change with only a couple wrenches. The center stand will come in handy and it's convenient that the same size tube can work in each tire. I'm trying out Shell Rotella oil because it's easy to find at Walmart and gas stations. I'll definitely carry spare plugs and an oil filter. I'm planning to start the ride in September 2015, so it's a ways off. That gives me some time to get the bike and gear set up and do a few shakedown rides. I'm gonna take route 50 ("the loneliest road") thru CO, UT & NV into CA, then the pacific coast hwy down to the canyons north of LA, then Route 66/I-40 home or vice-versa. Should be a fun ride, even more so on a bevel Duc!
Thanks,
Craig
Jon Pegler
Mariana

Post by Jon Pegler »

Hi Craig,
That route through Colorado, Utah, Nevada and into California is well worth travelling.
My advice would be to fill up at every gas station once past Denver.
They get quite far apart out there and there is not a lot of passing traffic in the more remote areas.
Have a great trip.

Jon
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Bevel-specific tools? Don't forget the chain adjuster tool for the Dramah. Otherwise? Before you leave, tighten the exhaust nuts - using the right tool, nat' ;) - and then security wire them.

And then have a good address book of fellow bevelheads :-D

Have fun!

Craig
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

If Hwy 50 is the one I did via Salt Lake City on a Ski trip from OZ,I recomend an Air Hawk and some ear plugs and Music,its similar to The Nulabour and Hay Plain in OZ,a LONG way between drinks.Great over the mountains but boring in the flat bit.
BultacoConvert
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by BultacoConvert »

Thanks for the tips guys. Good call on the chain adjuster. That's an easy one to miss since it's bike specific rather than the bolts or cams on other bikes. I'm relieved nobody said it was crazy to ride a Darmah that far. I figure it's a sport touring bike and that's what it was made for. But then there are people on the ADVrider forum who claim they've ridden further on 100cc scooters, so the Darmah must be worth a shot! I'm averaging 40mpg but I haven't yet run it dry to get a fuel range figure. I won't be passing too many gas stations out west. From what I can tell on the maps there will be some boring roads no matter which way you go but at least the scenery will be different from GA. I want to avoid the interstates as much as I can. I'll break up the monotony with some of the bucket list roads like the Ozark mtns, Pike's peak, the million dollar hwy 550, Arches national park in Moab, and it looks like the entire state of CA has good roads. I think I'll either be close friends or bitter enemies with my Darmah by the time I get back home!
Thanks again guys
Craig
garryc
Parallel Twin

Post by garryc »

if you haven't already done so I would put a second nut on the couter shaft sprocket.
A tool that fits your mounting bolts on the rear sprocket carrier, I use allen socket heads on mine so I take the correct allen key.
I have a tiny tin of screw on cable nipples in case of cable break and always have a spare clutch cable, I have mine tucked in the whale tail but have seen a spare cabled tied to the existing cable
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Here's one for the road. I discovered that my 750 GT's Orlandi petcocks were designed for reserve to be with lever straight down, which is the 'on' position on the visually same petcock on my Guzzi.

Anyway, after running out of gas and being in what I thought was 'on', but actually 'reserve', I checked to see how much reserve fuel there actually is. It turned out that it's only about 1.5 liters! Good to know when deciding when to get and when to skip a stop at the gas station.
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

IMHO If you are going for a serious long ride on a Darmah, then yes, spare clutch cable wired in as a twin. Spare fuses and fuse wire (If it gets really wet, the stock Darmah fuse setup is not good). Obvious things like spark plug spanner, Allen keys, and an 8mm, 10mm and 13mm open spanner, Less obvious things like various Cable ties. A few spare globes may also be helpful along the way.

Kev
BultacoConvert
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by BultacoConvert »

Hi guys,
I'm taking off for the pacific coast on the 12th. Gave myself 3 weeks to get there and back. I've gone thru my Darmah from one end to the other and everything is working fine now. It will probably stay that way if I can keep from tinkering with it til then! I replaced most of the wear items and checked the clutch and valves. I put on an aftermarket fuse block that uses newer blade type fuses and has a better seal/cover. Thanks for all the tips and advice! I'm waiting to see how many gold wing and Harley riders along the way will be shocked to see a bevel go that far
Craig
BultacoConvert
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by BultacoConvert »

Well I made it back in one piece and the Darmah is still running great! Covered 5700 miles in 20 days. All the roads in California and Colorado were great and I enjoyed the runs across the desert too. The Darmah ran great the whole time, even at 14k ft on top of Pikes Peak. There were a few little problems but nothing that caused any big delays. We ran in and out of rain the 1st 3 days and it wasn't long after that the starter solenoid went south. I was able to free it up a few times by spraying it with WD40 but it eventually fried. The Lucas prince of darkness strikes again! It was working when I left the house but that didn't surprise me. The kickstarter is kinda awkward on this bike but I got plenty of practice. The bike was pretty hard to start when it was hot. Everything else electrical worked fine the whole time. My speedo cable broke in Arkansas about 800 miles in but that was my fault for not replacing the old cable in the 1st place. I had a new Regina chain and JT steel sprockets but the chain was totally stretched out by the time I got to CA. Dissappinting that a new name brand chain would only last 2300 miles. The good folks at Pro Italia in Glendale put a new DID chain on for me while I waited. Didn't overcharge me and didn't balk at working on a vintage bike. Other than that it leaked steadily from the countershaft area and burned a little oil thru the exhaust. I tried to fix the countershaft leak before I left but it wasn't good enough. As for using oil, the engine is probably getting tired (about 80,000km) but it still gets 135psi on both cylinders. All that aside (which is the usual stuff for any vintage bike) it was a great trip and enjoyed every minute of it. I'm glad I did it on a bevel and I intend to keep riding my Darmah for a long time. Thanks guys for your helpful tips!
Thanks
Craig
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

glad you had a great time on your trip.

Your chain stretched out because you had it adjusted too tightly.

On bevel twins, when you set up your chain slack, you need to remove the top shock bolts, pull both shocks back a bit then put a wedge under the rear tire thick enough to hold your rear axle, counter shaft sprocket and swing arm pivot centers all on the same plane meaning the centers all lined up.

That is where you adjust your slack - FYI.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “The Rumour Mill”