biggest ever bevel engine?

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
in-two
Diana

biggest ever bevel engine?

Post by in-two »

Beat this: 27 litres, 2600bhp, camshafts over a yard long...
Yes it's the Rolls Royce Merlin engine, most famously fitted to the WW2 Spitfire and P51 Mustang but finding a home in tanks, boats, a few crazy cars and even a motorcycle (somebody band- sawed the first two cylinders off one, only 4500 cc!).
I was crawling over one today, recovered from the Mediterranean off Malta, when I noticed the characteristic tubes up the back of the engine, yes, cam drive shafts with 45 degree straight cut bevels on the end, don't suppose they were that bothered about valve-train noise then. No Desmo either, probably hard enought to shim up anyway with the Luftwaffe bombing your hangar day and night.
I wonder if this engine had any influence on Dr. T ?
Yours Historically,
In-Two
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: biggest ever bevel engine?

Post by BevHevSteve »

pix pix pix
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

[atta
merlin bevel gear small.jpg
chment=1]Merlin engine scotland, rusty bevel gear visible.jpg[/attachment][]
taylor---malta.gif
I have no pics of the actual engine i was looking at, these are of one still on a remote mountainside in scotland showing the rusty bevel drive and gear, a shot of the top bevel, a diagram and a painting of a spitfire in action over Malta.
The fighter plane applications of the later Merlins (also built in the States by Packard) have the two stage supercharger covering the back of the engine where the camshaft drive towers are, so they are not usually visible. The engine I have been looking at is in a museum on Malta after an heroic undersea recovery operation. I'll try and post links to the story if anybody is interested.
Attachments
Merlin engine scotland, rusty bevel gear visible.jpg
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

It's amazing there are still a few of these laying out in the open. They are very, very sought after in the vintage car/boat race crowd. I would think even the wrecked ones would have some useful parts. Please post a link to the articles.
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

The bike was built by a bloke called Lucky Kursuo,its definatly Lucky but not sure about the 2nd name.Ossie bloke from out near Dubbo NSW.Made all the local bike mags 25years or so ago.
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

[url][http://www.rafbea.org/stories/pat_patie ... it.htm/url]
Here's a link to the story about the Maltese Spitfire
'75 900 SS
Zanetti
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Zanetti »

Put "Lucky Keizer merlin" into google image search for lots of pics.

Lucky's bike had belt drive cams so no bevel.

From memory he found a war surplus engine in a crate on some old blokes farm, the farmer thought it would make a good irrigation pump but ran out of motivation.

I remember that bike dropping a trail of oil round the entire Oran park circuit doing a demo lap prior to a race meeting, they used the media helicopter to blow the excess cement dust off the racing line,
WH&S would have a heart attack if you did anything like that nowdays
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

Lucky is a mate of mine and he is about to crank Merlin up again in a bike for dirt drags.
Also working on a V12 Meteor (land based Merlin) in a speed car destined for the salt flats along with his Merlin 2 streamliner.
From memory, he cut the 2 cylinders off a wrecked engine.
Regards,
RAD

Return to “The Rumour Mill”