What's up with all the bevel's being "broken" on eBay?

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
hunde
Mariana

What's up with all the bevel's being "broken" on eBay?

Post by hunde »

Interesting that there are and have been several bevels being "broken" on ebay - a few 860's, Dharma, etc., several in or around San Francisco. Not really looking for an answer as to why, unless you all want to theorize....

Tom
Eldert
Parallel Twin

Re: What's up with all the bevel's being "broken" on eBay?

Post by Eldert »

plain a ss simple :

the sum of al parts is more then a complete bike would bring

Eldert
hunde
Mariana

Post by hunde »

Yeah, kinda sad though. I realize 860s are relative "unloved" and parts worth more than the bike whole, but its a bummer to see. ALMOST makes me want to part my 860 out if i can't get around to fixing it, but that is the last thing I'll do...
hunde
Mariana

Post by hunde »

Sorry, didn't see the other post discussing this.

Still find it interesting that there are several in San Francisco area being parted out. May have to check in and see what they have...
VINCENT75
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by VINCENT75 »

Tom,
I agree it is a sad time for the 860 GT being parted out.
But you MUST get yours on the road again!
I recently was prompted by a friend of mine to resurrect my 75 860GT which had been stored in my
garage for the past 15+ years. I bought it from another buddy in 1980. He was the original owner.
Anyway, I got mine going again and spent a bit of time getting to know the bike as I went along.
Took me back a few years and had great fun!

Ride safe,
Rob
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

The guys parting out the 860's will kick themselves in another 10-15 years when they become rare and valuable. When round case and even singles become out of reach for the masses they will turn to the 860 and other models. Or the younger crowd will appreciate the style cues more than we do. Its inevitable, happens in the classic car world all the time.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The 860s are already bringing stupid money. Wasn't too long ago you couldn't give one away.
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

In that case, I have an 860 frame I would like to get rid of. Was saving it but now I have my new 250 toy to play with. I'd love to get stupid money for it but I would settle for a reasonable offer. Any takers?
TomGC61
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by TomGC61 »

In all walks of life monetary value is determined by desirability and rarity. Ironically what was once undesirable becomes sought after when it becomes rarer as there is a certain frustration built up by the lack of supply and so it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. There comes a point with anything that is worth more in bits when the actions of the breakers come back and bite them as Cafe Racer points out but I personally think you are looking at a lot less than 10-15 years! On the other hand anybody who is happy that their bike has proved to be a wise financial investment has to thank those who have broken up machines for all kinds of reasons for affecting the supply. Personally I am repulsed by the idea as it is a purely commercial decision and destroys a piece of history. It still goes on now in the UK with the Vincent Comet for example which is amazingly still more valuable in bits!
1977 860GT to 900SS Spec
1973 750 GT
joepagejr
Mariana

Post by joepagejr »

At the end of last month a round case began to show up in pieces on eBay. The cases halves and gear train sold for over $2000 USD. The rest of it is being sold bit by bit. I realize that its value can be exploited by parting it out, but it make me cringe. I'd like to get ahold of just the engine. I have an interesting project I'd like to start in the next few years. One can dream though...
1975 Ducati 860 GT - 850589
2002 Ducati ST4s
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

This is a situation where I don't think that there is a clear-cut right and wrong: on the one hand (as TomGC61 points out) it "destroys a piece of history"; on the other hand, I wonder about the number of bikes that are able to be kept running because of the availability of genuine "donor" parts that can't otherwise be obtained (e.g. engine cases). As the parts for one bike inevitably go to many buyers you'd have to think that for each bike broken up, ultimately there are several that are able to be kept running.
Even though the motives of the sellers may be purely commercial, this activity probably provides a net benefit to the community of owners who are interested in preserving their own "pieces of history".
Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
TomGC61
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by TomGC61 »

I agree - there is a strong moral argument of the sacrifice of one for the good of many, whatever the motives! However, if all the broken Ducati's were still in circulation there would probably be a stronger demand for spare parts though and a better supply of remanufactured parts.
1977 860GT to 900SS Spec
1973 750 GT

Return to “The Rumour Mill”