1974 750SS 0N EBAY, NOW

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

BevHevSteve wrote:Re: Machine Polish - My opinion - NEVER on those borrani wheels as you will loose some/most of the stamping and besides, go for a couple rides and wipe the wheels and they will get dull anyways so getting them to an absolute mirror is just fills a temporary BLING fettish but it is very short lived. So, you would do your wheels best to just go over everything with NEVER-DULL Magic Wadding Polish. That stuff will very quickly and easily keep your wheels looking shiny as the years go by as well.

Re: repaint or SS spokes - again My opinion - replace with stainless as they will always look great. And, if they are too shiny for your tastes when new, then just lightly go over them with a fine skotch-brite and voila instant satin finish. The big bonus is that you never have to repaint, and you will not see rust. And yes, we stock all Buchanon spoke kits for Ducatis in our shop ;)
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

Thanks for the responses, I think I might try and do both... freshen up my original wheels by hand, without re-building, as I expect it's a rare privelege to have a completely original, nearly new set of these wheels, and build up a pair of 'riding wheels' with a wider rear, ss spokes etc.
Anybody got suggestions/ experience as to the widest rear tyre that is practical in an unmolested swing arm?
I can also report great progress at last, engine is in the frame! I left the frame totally bare (it's heavy enough....) and dropped it over the engine, not as easy as it looks when working solo, much swearing and some paint damage, and, of course, I forgot the swing arm pinch bolts, so out it came again. They say practice makes perfect!
One last question, where is the best place on the forum to report progress, with pics of the resto., assuming anybody is interested?

cheers
In-Two
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Re: best place to post progress/project reports

Go to the Photo Gallery section for bevel twins and start a new topic for your bike resto and as you go just click Reply to add new content. That way everything is in 1 place for your bike....

Re: how wide rear wheel

My opinion is that bigger is not better. You will slow down your bikes ability to turn, add a bunch of extra weight in the larger tire and tube,... So I would suggest you go no larger than a 2.50 rim and run a 120/80 tire or you could go with a 130/70 max. A wider tire looks nice when you are used to modern bikes but the handling gets all funky.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

Steve, many thanks for advice, If the Duke turned any slower than it already does I would need a rudder, not handlebars :shock:
To give you my perspective re-the rear tyre, here is (I hope) a pic of the Duke's old 120/90 next to my 'daily driver' (it's italian and a 90 degree v, so what's not to like....)
Cheers
In-Two

Image[/img][/url]
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod

Return to “The Rumour Mill”