1974 750SS 0N EBAY, NOW

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
in-two
Diana

1974 750SS 0N EBAY, NOW

Post by in-two »

gentlemen, I spotted this :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Duc ... 2eb483b1bd

on ebay currently. It's up to 88850 USD and I would expect it to go even higher. I'm a squarecase man (1975 900ss) but to my eye the detailed photos show a very good example, the best I have ever seen on the market. I've always lusted after one of these, even though my half restored 900ss is enough trouble. Does anybody know anything about this bike? The only odd thing I can see is that both the engine and frame number appear in the bevel heaven data, but not on the same bike or owner. I'm well aware that doesn't have to mean much, but it intrigues me. I'm not going to bid, one rattly uncomfortable bevel is enough, but if it is real I'd like to congratulate the new owner, and if it isn't I'd like to congratulate the builder, good job!
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

in-two,

Quote:
The only odd thing I can see is that both the engine and frame number appear in the bevel heaven data, but not on the same bike or owner.

From the eBay listing:
Quote:
The Vin# is DM750SS075281 and Motor # is 075136 DM7501.

As far as I can tell the roundcase data doesn't include this engine number (075136) or frame number (075281), although there are bikes listed with a frame number of 075136 and an engine number of 075281.

The eBay listing also mentions that "This bike is listed in Phil Schillings Register (#177)" - does anyone know what this register is and how it can be accessed?

Cheers,
Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
in-two
Diana

1974 750SS

Post by in-two »

You are, of course, correct. Got my columns mixed up!
Original question still stands, does anybody know anything about this bike?
My wife's birthday is coming up, I think she'd really appreciate this as a present, she loved the TIG welder I bought her for Christmas ;)

Cheers
In-two
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Well, if you have both the desire and the cash, there it is. It looks a good one.

Kev
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

"The eBay listing also mentions that "This bike is listed in Phil Schillings Register (#177)" - does anyone know what this register is and ...."

Hi steve f...... As far as I know Phil's 750SS register is not published anywhere (nor should it be in my opinion) and I was asked not to when I was given it. I will have a look at it on Monday when I get to my shop.

The bike looks very complete and original although I think the paint is not unfortunately (opinion, I have no idea if it is original or new paint it just looks too shiny for original - I have seen a greenframe with only 18 miles that was always inside under a cover).
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Thanks for the info about the register Steve. The eBay listing confirms that the bike has been repainted by a previous owner.

Cheers,
Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Ian Falloon
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Phil Schilling's 750 SS Register

Post by Ian Falloon »

Phil gave me all his register information and all the bikes are included in the Book on the 1974 750 SS.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

If it were mine it would not have a wonky rear mudguard, as its been rebuilt what does that say?.perhaps its not as good as it looks?.for that sort of lolly an orriginal low milage unrestored (with wonky guard and flies in the paint,) or a restoration by a perfectionist please, this seems to be neither.
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

bobnorton wrote:If it were mine it would not have a wonky rear mudguard, as its been rebuilt what does that say?.perhaps its not as good as it looks?.
I have to say my experience is different, all the original mudguards I have seen were made from the worst imaginable hand laid (thrown!) glassfibre and were always wonky, later pattern reproductions are quite straight and even trimmed!
All the glassfibre on my '75 900ss doesn't fit properly because it never did, I'm now wondering whether to mount it 'properly' during restoration, or have a couple of glasses of wine and just chuck it on like they obviously did in the factory. ;)
Cheers
In-Two
'75 900 SS
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

I agree with all you say, just trying to get picture of the man who rebuilt this eyewateringly expensive investment.
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

I posted my reply having only read the first line of your post, the one quoted, the rest appeared later (we have steam powered internet here in Poland, pressure was low....) So we seem to be agreeing loudly!
I wonder if the bike was just given a cosmetic paint job, the listing states that the present owner never started it, let alone rode it, shame!
In any event much too much money for me. While I'm here I wonder if you , or anybody, has an opinion on what I should do with the wheels of my 900 ss, the original Borrani rimmed, painted steel spoked items were in storage as I charged around Europe with a set of cast wheels fitted. They are good and straight technically , but by no means perfect cosmetically. Do I go the strip, machine polish, rebuild with Buchanan stainless spokes route or do I wear out my fingers polishing the rims by hand, give the spokes an in-situ blow with silver paint and feel virtuously authentic? I'm aiming for a result that looks like new from the factory, but I am definitely going to ride it, hard. Would love to hear what people think.
Cheers
In-Two
'75 900 SS
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

You are getting into personal territory now!!, I've done both and can't say which i prefer, on balance if its not broke-------.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Re: Machine Polish - My opinion - NEVER on those borrani wheels as you will loose some/most of the stamping and besides, go for a couple rides and wipe the wheels and they will get dull anyways so getting them to an absolute mirror is just fills a temporary BLING fettish but it is very short lived. So, you would do your wheels best to just go over everything with NEVER-DULL Magic Wadding Polish. That stuff will very quickly and easily keep your wheels looking shiny as the years go by as well.

Re: repaint or SS spokes - again My opinion - replace with stainless as they will always look great. And, if they are too shiny for your tastes when new, then just lightly go over them with a fine skotch-brite and voila instant satin finish. The big bonus is that you never have to repaint, and you will not see rust. And yes, we stock all Buchanon spoke kits for Ducatis in our shop ;)
Last edited by BevHevSteve on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

The wheel question is one I have agonised over for some time. I think it depends on the condition of the rims. The 4cyl MV Agusta that I have just finished restoring was badly corroded and the wheels needed machine polishing with instructions to avoid stampings. I had to replace the spokes for safety but believed that the dull silver original finish looks better. I am wondering about the same issue on wheels with an SFC750 that I will restore soon. I was thinking about stainless spokes painted silver before assembly. Opinions?
Ian
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Silver paint on stainless is sort of a win-win. They won't rust and the natural finish stainless isn't that far off the paint. The nipples might be a giveaway to a concours purist though.

Return to “The Rumour Mill”