GREENFRAME HELP.DO YOU KNOW THIS BIKE???

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
skidstar
Mariana

GREENFRAME HELP.DO YOU KNOW THIS BIKE???

Post by skidstar »

I'm thinking about purchasing this bike from the current owner.
Details as listed here at Bonhams auction from previous sale;

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.s ... ectionNo=2#

It was sold as part of the estate of John Sweeney and was built by Miller Specialties.

Is Miller still around?I rang every number I could find for the business and none connected.

Does anybody know of Miller Specialties and Bob Miller in Connecticut,quality of work etc???
Does anybody have any personal experience with this bike???

Any help and or leads would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Craig.
Last edited by skidstar on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Did you read the notice at the bottom of the listing? It looks like the bike that Eurobrit have for sale. Do you know what the frame number is?
Ian
skidstar
Mariana

Post by skidstar »

Macdesmo wrote:Did you read the notice at the bottom of the listing? It looks like the bike that Eurobrit have for sale. Do you know what the frame number is?
Ian

Yes I saw the revision to the auction lot,this is a little confusing;

After inspection, we have determined that the offered machine features a correct Sport frame

If they mean it's a Sport frame then surely they should say "Features Incorrect sport frame" as in the frame is incorrect for a Green Frame,or do they mean it is actually a Sport frame and it is correct for a Sport(although they are not selling a Sport).
This is one of the reasons I would like to hear from anybody who has personal experience of this bike,knows the builder or has any information on it.Chassis number is DM750SS 075346
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

The ad clearly reads "750ss replica". It is not a real green frame 750 ss, but a nice replica of one........thats what I am reading. Are you thinking its a real one?
79 Darmah
78 900 GTS
86 F1B
80 SSD
02 Harley FXD
72 H2 750 triple
08 KTM 300XC
there has yet to be a motorcycle line made that is as satisfying to ride, hear and look at as the ducati bevels
skidstar
Mariana

Post by skidstar »

I realise they(Bonhams) are stating replica,the added description of the chassis is confusing as I pointed out previously.
Their original description says frame has correct numbers but motor is incorrect.

Here is the bike listed for sale in Australia,clearly stating genuine frame with incorrect motor.

http://www.eurobrit.com.au/?stg=778&view=778

I obviously don't want to shell out that kind of money for a replica built around a Sport(or a narrowed GT),however if the frame is genuine I will consider it,thus my request for help from anybody with personal knowledge of the bike or person associated with it such as Bob Miller etc.

Cheers.
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

This is one of the reasons I would like to hear from anybody who has personal experience of this bike,knows the builder or has any information on it.Chassis number is DM750SS 075346
This bike is listed in the "Ducati Engine/Frame # List - [1091 Roundcase Twins]" data found on this site. It is entry number 981, which states that it is a "750 GT SS replica", "Eurobrit (AU); ex John Sweeney (U.S.A.)".

See: http://www.bevelheaven.com/data-roundcase.htm

It seems to have a genuine '74 750 SS frame going by the number and also by the picture of the frame number stamping in the Bonhams document. As the Bonhams document states, "the frame number falls within the sequence of the production 750SS of 1974".

There is no other bike listed with the same frame number in the "Ducati Engine/Frame # List - [1091 Roundcase Twins]" data.

There is some conflicting information about the source of the heads in the Bonhams document ("After inspection, we have determined that the offered machine features ... Dharma heads") and the Eurobrit description ("it has the correct 750 SS desmo heads"). Someone more knowledgable than me might be able to elaborate on the Dharma and 750SS heads.

Good luck,
Steve.
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Although the framenumber is in the right place, there has been tampered with.
So I'm not really sure about the "real" supersport frame.
Add to that the remark that the frame is a original Sport frame (which it isn't because of the welding done to fit brakes and sidepanels) and it becomes a thing of interpretation.
Guess it's just a rather good replica, as they stated.
cu
joseph
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
skidstar
Mariana

Post by skidstar »

[quote="ducadini"]Although the framenumber is in the right place, there has been tampered with.

Interested to know why you think frame number has been tampered with??
Phactory
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Phactory »

I know the bike and it is a replica through and through. The way I remember it, when it was delievered to Cycle Tech in Masfield, MA, it was a red GT 750. Saw it with my own eyes. Same with the 750 Sport from the same estate.

[snip] (edited by admin)!

Phil
skidstar
Mariana

Post by skidstar »

Thanks for all the info above,that's a bike that won't be coming to my place anytime soon.
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Ducadini - like skidstar I am also interested to know why you think that the frame number has been tampered with. Can you provide any further info about this?

Thanks,
Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Verlicchi made the frames for a lot of Ducatis, the GT-S-SS also.
Verlicchi stamped (very probably mechanical because all digits are neatly on the same line) the Type number (DGM xxxxxxx) AND the framenumber prefix (could be : DM860SS) together with the two stars when the frames left Verlicchi. This with the rectangular typo.
Then "Guido" would take his "Ducati" numbers-set and punch manually the framenumber *75xxxx* or *075xxx* or *08xxxx*.
Guido's hand wasn't very steady.
On this "SS" the framenumber prefix is made with the same stamps as the framenumber itself : so either Guido or Verlicchi did something wrong.
Or someone down the line decided he could sell a modified Sportframe with some $$$$ profit as a SS frame.
Some welding and some numberpunching and pronto-cash.
Of course it could be that one of the POs crashed it and replaced the frame with a NOS numberless one, but then it should be stated so.
Seen it happen a few times, men with clinched fists and grinding teeth, but as always : caveat emptor.
I'm not the only one who has spotted this way of numbering, there are other Ducatisti who made a better study of it. Check the Bevelheaven-site.
cu
joseph
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Thanks for that Joseph.
Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT

Return to “The Rumour Mill”