where will it end

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

where will it end

Post by Lumpy »

It`s a tired old subject i know but you gotta wonder where all this price of parts madness is going to end. For example this 900SS seat and cowel on US ebay at USD$911 and 3 days left to go on the auction. Is the originallity that important. I`m not sure I would be searching the seat base and cowel for originality nor would it sway me purchasing a good SS just because the seat base was a remanufactured copy. Am I missing something here??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970s-Du ... 2ea9ced373
DesmoKid
Mariana

Post by DesmoKid »

What you are perhaps missing out on is that there are people out there with loads of money and others taking a small amount of that money. That seat will go, like his other parts, for at least a thousand dollars because someone out there really wants that seat and has more money than you or I can count and for whom one thousand dollars isn't even a days work. Or they are poor dummies like me who are prepared to extend the mortgage for the sake of originality.
My only concern is that the seat has a gel coat and black zip and no space for an expansion bottle i.e. it is for a 75 bike, but they were never painted with clear coats nor did they have black zips ( did they?). Even stupidly desperate idiots, totally possessed by originality, like me, cannot compete with the rich. Let us eat Darmahs.
Are you talkin' to me?
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

agreed-seems a bit strange to me,yep no clear coat-they just wacked the decals on after painting,and black zip--ive owned and been a keen student of the ss since 77 and never saw an original seat with black zip-they were a off type fawn/cream/you know--but not black.these seats are 75 to suit glass tank-----probably put one together for less than 500-therefore this is absolute noob bevel stupidity---same story with the tanks---but then again the forks are another story

cheers
so much time--so little to say
ducatibruce
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ducatibruce »

Sold for US $2,550.00 - ouch.

Shipped from the factory 25 years ago - so mid 80s maybe the black zip is from an 80's model (part 797-85-108)
1981 900 MHR, 1985 750F1, 1989 851 (all from new)
1973 Alfa GTV 2000 (since 1977)
Apparently I had a 4 year Italian itch for a while.
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

ya gotta be kidding

Post by Lumpy »

I read else where on this forum of some ones sadness that some unscruplious eBayer was buying GTS`s and breaking them down and selling them for parts, there by taking running machines off the road and farming them out to other ones on the road and leaving less and less in the pool.
I wonder with prices like that being paid for a seat how long before the SS becomes a target. Do the sums. A seat goes for2.5k, whats that make the rest of her worth.
Recently i rang a guy who had some Duc bits for sale. Among them was a Darmah motor complete. I bought my bits and out of intrest asked about the motor. He claimed it walked out the door first day at 6.5 grand and in his words wished he`d asked more and by the subsequent amount of calls for it wished he had a dozen more like it.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

FWIW - lifted off the Bevelheads e-mail list:

"Dear Heads

I have bought this seat! Mentioned seat is for a 1975 900SS (the same seat of the SS greenframe) NOT FOR A 1977 SS. I have paid it over any reasonable price, but it complete my ZERO km '75 900SS unrestored and absolutely new, bought 26 years ago in France (BIKE IN CRATE without a seat).

Now after 20 years I'm be able to complete my bike, Now I ask you: how is the price and value of this waiting time? I'm crazy for these bikes but I'm happy only with them.

Ciao

Marcello Baldi from Rome (eBay ID mannaggiabboia)"
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

ok ok ok

Post by Lumpy »

ok ok ok, I now can understand why you`d go to such lengths to get that seat. A brand new 75 SS still in it`s crate!!!! Thats pretty special.
Now I`m going to start bitching about why it`s not on the road!!! All jokes aside imagine what thats worth....................
DesmoKid
Mariana

Post by DesmoKid »

You couldn't have a better justification than that for spending so much on one seat! Makes the seat look cheap.....Also explains why the buyer now has some very nice stuff up for grabs on ebay himself. Good to know that seat is going where it belongs. My earlier reservations about the black zip and clear coat are unwarranted as I checked out the parts book, spares manual and, more relevantly, some old photos of unrestored 74SS and 75SSs and they show black zips; it's the post 75 bikes with the fawn/buff coloured zippers. Congratulations to Marcello, that's some bike!
Are you talkin' to me?

Return to “The Rumour Mill”