Frank's Place

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Frank's Place

Post by BevHevSteve »

This area is for updates and well wishes for Frank Scurria who was badly injured while riding in the MotoGiro America last week. His sister Carol has requested that I set this up here so that his family and friends can get current updates on his condition, and to also have a place for everyone to write well wishes etc for Frank.

If you are wondering just who Frank Scurria is, please click HERE to read a bio we put together for him. Frank is a LONG time friend of the Ducati 'tribe' and his pain is felt by many.

[photo above] Paul Smart on the left, Frank Scurria on the right

Please feel free to leave your comments and well wishes for Frank and his family here... just hit REPLY down below to do so.

Frank can not have any visitors until further notice. When someone stops in his blood pressure goes up and causes him problems. The doc says 'stay home' for a bit longer - please stay away until you hear from me that Carol says it is OK.

Frank has had his leg worked on a couple days ago, and they thought they would repair his pelvis and hip, then attend to his wrist, arm,.... as time permitted.. on Sat. The surgery was postponed until Monday. Today they decided not to do that surgery, they are worried about his lung and at this moment are doing some kind of procedure relating to his lungs. Then they will decide what to do next.

Lets all keep our fingers crossed for him today, and in the future. Prayers and good thoughts for Frank will certainly do him good.

Frank was the AFM 175 Formula 3 Class Champion in 1960

Below is the address to Frank's sister Carol so you can send cards directly to Frank. If you wish to donate some money to Frank, please read below for info on what to do.

Frank Scurria c/o Carol
158 Oakdale St
Redwood City, CA 94062

:arrow: PLEASE DO NOT SEND FLOWERS or PLANTS - Frank has allergies

Vicki is managing a donation account through paypal for Frank. If you wish to donate any amount of money to Frank, please paypal your donation to Vicki Smith at [email protected] and simply put FOR FRANK SCURRIA in the SUBJECT and whatever other personal note you wish Frank to get in the MESSAGE part.

DNA gave me a huge black and white poster that I took around to The Hill House and to the DOC President Party for people to sign. It is the photo of the Italian racer with his cigarette hanging out of his mouth that you have all probably seen.... The racer's name is Giuliano Maoggi and he started the MotoGiro America with Frank. I got MotoGP stars Casey Stoner & Marco Melandri to sign as well as Cook Neilsen, Phil Schilling, Larry Pegram,............... and a bunch of other folks who care about Frank. I plan to take it to him once he can be seen and hanging it up on the wall in the hospital room - check it out below. He will love it.

Last edited by BevHevSteve on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Monday Night Update:
Frank's surgeries have been postphoned again due to lung complications. The doctors are worried and need to clear out the bronchial passages. Seems his lungs got so bruised up and swollen that the big concern is getting the bronchitis and pneumonia under control before doing any operations. Frank is sedated and on a ventilator while he gets through this stage.

Please do not send ANYTHING to the hospital for Frank or go to try to see him. He is in the best possible care in the ICU.

Frank and Doug Polin on Ducati Island 2003
Last edited by BevHevSteve on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Splot73
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Get well soon, Frank

Post by Splot73 »

Frank, you're a warrior and you'll win this one too. Get well soon, very soon.

With heartfelt admiration and respect,

diego
patti
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by patti »

I'm sending all of my positive thoughts and good wishes down the peninsula to Frank right now-- get well quickly! I'll "visit" in the form of waving in the general direction of the hospital as I go past Palo Alto.
scott74rv
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by scott74rv »

To Frank and his family,
My thoughts and prayers are with you in these difficult times.

It's sometimes hard to understand why things happen as they do.
Sometimes, for no apparent reason, our machines reach up and bite us,
yet we expect and accept the exhilaration and the danger side by side.

Frank, your great passion for motorcycles and racing cars shines
through your posts on the BevelHeads email list.
I always enjoy reading about your many racing achievements and successes,
and I really respect and admire you. You are a Champion in my book.

Heal well my friend,
Scott Covell
Tulsa, OK
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

He Speaks........

Post by BevHevSteve »

You can hear an interesting conversation between Frank Scurria and my old racing team mate Paul Nielson by going to Paul's excelent podcast website here www.themotoworld.com You don't have to have an iPod to hear it, you can just download it for listening via you media player of choice on your computor - listen to it by clicking on the link on his website.

Last edited by BevHevSteve on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

All the best Frank and family. Over here in the UK we're thinking of you too and wishing you a speedy, complete recovery.

Cheers
Geoff
mcarroll16
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Get Well Frank!

Post by mcarroll16 »

Here's to a speedy and complete recovery. Marilyn and I will keep you in our thoughts while you recuperate. We know first hand how tough this can be but you are a fighter and will get through it.
Matt
TedNEDOC
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Frank

Post by TedNEDOC »

The New England Desmo Owners Club send our best wishes for Frank's speedy recovery.

Ted
President New England Desmo Owners Club
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Thursday Night Update

Post by BevHevSteve »

Thursday Night Update:

I spoke with Frank's sister at length tonight - this is what she said about his current condition.............

"Frank's biggest problem at this point is still his pneumonia. We spoke with his doctor today, who said that that seems to be improving. He is still heavily sedated and on a ventillator (aka respirator), but his lungs seem to be clearing up a bit. Hopefully, he will continue to improve steadily, but it is likely to be a slow course with ups and downs. His orthopedic surgeries are still on hold until his lung status is better and more stable.

"I can't tell you how much we appreciate all the good wishes so many people have for Frank. I do tell him every time I see him. Though he can't respond right now because of all the sedation, I know he hears me and I know it really helps. I read each get well card to him and tell him the names of the people who send them or write on the forum. He doesn't need to respond - I know it's really important to him. Thanks again for all your support and please let everyone know that every good wish and all the positive energy sent his way is doing a lot to speed up his recovery.

Carol Scurria

Doug Polen and Frank Scurria at Laguna Seca in 2005
gornzilla
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by gornzilla »

Hi Frank,

We've met but I doubt you remember me. We stood and drank soda at the hill house a few years ago while I felt uncomfortable since I'm not a DUCATI guy even though I love them. I hope you're feeling better. I've spent plenty of time in hospitals and ICU and it sucks every single time. Broken bones are much better than head trauma so it could've been worse. In fact, each time I've spent some quality time at a hospital, I always think "well, that could've been worse". At least when I could think.

I'm in India on round 2 of riding a Duc single round the world. I'm not religious but there's a temple every 100 feet and every time I pass one, I think, "I hope Frank is doing better".

Get better,

--Dave
Riding round the world on a 1965 Ducati 250cc bitsa.
Currently: India
http://nokilli.com/rtw/
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

sunday night update

Post by BevHevSteve »

[image courtesy Vicki Smith]

- This picture pretty much IS Frank, taken day 2 of the MotoGiro America.

Sunday Night Update

Hi Steve,

I just wanted to let you know how Frank is doing. Though his pneumonia seems to be clearing, he now appears to have an infection somewhere else. It's great that his lungs are better, but the new infection is very worrisome. I will let you know as things change.

Carol
Last edited by BevHevSteve on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TrexDucatis
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Best wishes for Frank and Carol

Post by TrexDucatis »

Frank..Your one of my heros. I sincerely hope to grow up just like you and retire to ride ..LOL (i'm 35) Seriously....best wishes and all possible prayers hoping your strength and smile will return soon. If only we could gather parts for racers as well as the bikes. Best of luck on the "restoration" and recovery.
Travis
Anchorage Alaska
Chris Meyer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Best Wishes

Post by Chris Meyer »

You are in our thoughts, Frank.

Get well soon.

Chris
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

Hey Frank,

We've only met once but we "talked" on the bevel list a few times. Thanks for all the info you've imparted, I've appreciated reading your comments on all things Ducati.

As for your recent adventure, it's like I was telling my dogs tonight... HEEL!

Ok, fine, bad joke. Sorry.

Seriously though, get well soon. As you can tell there are a lot of people pulling for you.

-Craig Kenfield

Return to “The Rumour Mill”